PDA

View Full Version : Newly aquired TI

DreadStorm
February 24th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Beige unit, but the 1981, not the 1983 version.

NEVER BEEN OPENED NOR PULLED OUT OF THE PLASTIC BAG. Mint condition, brand new.

Only cost me $20 + 17 shipping.

barythrin
February 24th, 2012, 12:40 PM
That's one of those funny things with the 99/4a series. I don't know how many were sold but damn if ya can't always find one in good shape in a box for $20 these days. The 99/4 I rarely every see, I actually just finally acquired one from a lady who found it in an estate sale. Took me a few just to even remember what differences there were between the units (it's actually pretty obvious now, the 99/4 has two red shift buttons that stand out if anyone goes hunting). Once you're at the unit you'll see it's a chicklet type keyboard too not the full keyboard, and the white lettering on the silver (from memory the 99/4a has black lettering).

Anyway nice find though, brand new is always a sweet find! They're fun little systems.

DreadStorm
February 24th, 2012, 12:58 PM
After Chuck gave that schematic, I went looking for a few more hours, and found there were 2 very distinct versions of TI-99/4A.

On the startup screen where the color bars are, you would see...

1981 was kinda open. Rather sloppy board construction (by comparison to the next) Third-party hardware allowed, etc. The black/silver one everyone's used to.
1983 was a closed system, known as the QI model. No third-party hardware was usable due to some check enforcement of some kind. The board was neater, cleaner, and less cluttered (fewer chips).

Another way to tell was the expansion port construction. Brass tongues were the normal open one. Nickel-plated tongues were the QI model - the closed system.

Here (http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/computers/ti99qi.html) is where I found that info.

vwestlife
February 24th, 2012, 01:15 PM
1981 was kinda open. Rather sloppy board construction (by comparison to the next) Third-party hardware allowed, etc. The black/silver one everyone's used to.
1983 was a closed system, known as the QI model. No third-party hardware was usable due to some check enforcement of some kind. The board was neater, cleaner, and less cluttered (fewer chips).

Beige TI-99/4A's are a mixed bag. Some are the 1981 version, and some are the 1983 version. My beige TI-99/4A the 1981 version, so the one Atarisoft cartridge I have (Defender) works fine.

Overall the TI-99/4A is a great bargain buy. They're cheap (often REALLY cheap), and the graphics and sound are surprisingly good -- comparable to an Atari 800/5200 or Colecovision. The only problem are the joysticks. The original TI sticks are cheaply made and frequently broken, and you need a special Y-splitter in order to use standard Atari 2600-type joysticks with it.

Here's my video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUKip0eNY1c

DreadStorm
February 24th, 2012, 01:26 PM
When I was in my teens, after my T-Rex accident, I used to spend nights up working on my checkers and yahtzee games. Only had a tape recorder for it at the time. Never thought I'd grow up to begin amassing such a collection of hardware. This morning, I set up my C-128 (that I got from a member here some time back) and had a blast with it. And I'm tempted to set up my other TI before I go to work tonight. Of all the computers I had, I think I did some of my best programming on a TI.

barythrin
February 24th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Nice review video. Ended up (shocking I know) after a few more videos find this odd and alleged 1969 video (http://youtu.be/Y0pPfyYtiBc). I'm curious if anyone knows the date of this video or what it's from. Google does have several articles talking about it but I don't see the reference/credit from a quick glance. I'd be quite surprised if it was really from 1969.

Pepinno
February 25th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Vwestlife's review of the TI 99 is just amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Nice review video. Ended up (shocking I know) after a few more videos find this odd and alleged 1969 video (http://youtu.be/Y0pPfyYtiBc). I'm curious if anyone knows the date of this video or what it's from. Google does have several articles talking about it but I don't see the reference/credit from a quick glance. I'd be quite surprised if it was really from 1969.

The funny part in that imaginary 1969 Internet scheme, is "what the wife selects on her console, will be paid for by the husband at his console." Hahaha.

Terry Yager
February 25th, 2012, 04:39 PM
No third-party hardware was usable due to some check enforcement of some kind.

Third party carts were also verboten.

--T

Visionary
February 25th, 2012, 10:35 PM
We always used the keyboard for games when I was a kid. The only reason why I had a set of the joysticks was to play Defender which required them.
I still prefer the keyboard for most of the games including Parsec. I wish my video of Munchman past level 20 was still on Youtube. I'll have to make another video of that sometime.

kiyotewolf
March 5th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I just ripped an TI EXTENDED BASIC audio tape with multiple games.

Made a bunch of *.WAV files, and after ripping immediately tested playback from soundcard to real hardware, and indeed they loaded.

List of games.

Requires the TI EXTENDED BASIC cart to run, of course.

TAPE LIST

Address_Inventory_TI994_A__TAPE.wav
Arrow_Zap_TI994_A__TAPE.wav
Auto_Sprite_Definition_TI994_A__TAPE.wav
BioRhythm_TI994_A__TAPE.wav
BlackTunnel_TI994_A__TAPE.wav
Cosmic_Guns 140 REM__tofix_TI994_A__TAPE.wav
Destroyer_Pheonix_TI994_A__TAPE.wav
Gold_Bag_TI994_A__TAPE.wav
Gunner_TI994_A__TAPE.wav
Help aka HangmanForTwo_TI994_A__TAPE.wav
HomeBound aka Frogger_TI994_A__TAPE.wav