PDA

View Full Version : Need the Sonnet Presto Plus installation disk

jrehmer
March 5th, 2012, 08:57 PM
I got a Sonnet Presto Plus off eBay and happily installed it in my Color Classic only to realize the download on sonnettech.com is only for System 8 and does not contain the System 7 enabler needed to use the card in System 7.x. I've e-mailed their support department but in the meantime if anyone here has a copy that they could provide I would be most appreciative!

jrehmer
March 5th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Actually now I'm wondering whether or not the card I have is bad. The software on their site may be the right stuff, though the wording in the PDF and the name of one of the enablers is a bit confusing. When my CC boots with the enablers and extension in place I get the sonnet logo with a big X through it when the Welcome to Macintosh screen is displayed just prior to loading extensions. I'll ask Sonnet if they have any ideas too, but anyone know if this means the card is bad?

jrehmer
March 6th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Sonnet support is fantastic! I woke up this morning with an e-mail containing several disk images of Presto Plus software of various versions including the OS 8 Install boot disk. Installing the correct enabler did the trick and the card is working. If anyone else needs these disk images let me know I am happy to share.

applefreak
March 6th, 2012, 12:58 PM
32-bit Addressing Mode Recommended
If you are operating your Macintosh in 24-bit addressing mode and have either the extension A/ROSE or the control panel Closeview, your system will not boot. Restart with extensions off (hold down the shift key), turn on 32-bit addressing in the Memory control panel, or remove A/ROSE and Closeview, and restart.

Apple’s RAM Disk not compatible
The RAM Disk option in the Memory control panel is not compatible with the Presto accelerator. Turn off the RAM Disk when using the Presto accelerator. This does not apply to third-party RAM disk software.

Older Software not compatible
Some obsolete versions of applications software will not with the Presto accelerator installed. The following is a partial list of some common software (and the version) which is not compatible. Versions newer than the listed version are compatible: After Dark v2.5, Aldus Pagemaker v4.x, At Ease v1.x, Microsoft Excel v3.x, Microsoft Word v4, & Symatec Anti-Virus v3.5 The list is not exhaustive. If you have any of the programs listed, or another program which predates 68040 CPUs then you must upgrade to a version that is fully compatible with the 68040 CPU.
Also, older driver software for printers and scanners may need to be updated. Most of these updates are freely available from the manufacturers web site. (Example: Hewlett Packard DeskWriter series should be updated to version 6.0.3 available at www.hp.com.)

LocalTalk Networking or Printing requires System 7.1 or Network Software 1.5.1
If you are experiencing problems using a LocalTalk printer or using a LocalTalk network make sure you are using a recent version of the Apple LocalTalk software (LocalTalk version 57.0.4–which ships with System 7.1–or greater is required). Older versions of the networking software (using LocalTalk) may cause some items not to show up in the Chooser when the Presto LC accelerator is running. If you need to update the LocalTalk software, but do not wish to change System software version, install Apple’s Network Software Installer 1.5.1.

Apple LaserWriter 300 needs update
If you are using the Apple LaserWriter 300 you need to patch the LaserWriter 300 1.2 chooser extension (if you do not have version 1.2 of the chooser extension it is available from Apple). (The patcher is included on the diskette.) The Apple LaserWriter 300 Chooser extension has a bug in it which will lock up your Mac after printing to the LaserWriter 300. This bug is only present in the LaserWriter 300/ and does not affect any other LaserWriter or PostScript printer.

olePigeon
March 6th, 2012, 01:36 PM
So YOU'RE the bastard who outbid me!

(Congrats, by the way. :-P)

I could use the disk images. Who knows if another one pops up on eBay. :)

njroadfan
March 6th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Any reason why Sonnet doesn't have these files posted on their website to begin with? They aren't all that big and are obviously useful to someone.

applefreak
March 6th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I could use the disk images.
send you a PM

jrehmer
March 6th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Any reason why Sonnet doesn't have these files posted on their website to begin with? They aren't all that big and are obviously useful to someone.

They gave me permission to distribute the files if I knew others who needed them, but they did not provide an answer as to why they are not located on the site.

jrehmer
March 6th, 2012, 03:35 PM
So YOU'RE the bastard who outbid me!

(Congrats, by the way. :-P)

I could use the disk images. Who knows if another one pops up on eBay. :)

That would be me! I'm sort of surprised it didn't go for more. I've seen previous mentions that they sold for over $200. Sounds like you already got the disk images, but if you still need them let me know I'll give you a link to where I put them on my web server.

jrehmer
March 6th, 2012, 04:09 PM
After getting very excited that I got the card working I am now extremely disappointed in the performance improvement, or lack thereof. I can barely notice a difference after installing the card. I get that I can now run OS 8 but I don't think that would be a wise idea as my current install of 7.5.3R2 is still crawling more so than I expected. I'm going to try a few things, such as a newer SCSI drive, but I'm not expecting much improvement overall. I guess I shouldn't expect the same kind of boost as my Power Mac 7100 got with the Crescendo G3 accelerator, but I was expecting something more noticeable.

applefreak
March 6th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I am now extremely disappointed in the performance improvement
best system, 7.6.1

Colour Classic with Presto Plus (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?4649-my-apple-collection&p=214765#post214765)

jrehmer
March 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM
best system, 7.6.1

Colour Classic with Presto Plus (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?4649-my-apple-collection&p=214765#post214765)

I'm going to do a fresh install of 7.6.1 tonight and see how it goes. Looks like you have the original installation floppy with the Metronome app on it, would you mind providing that to me? The disk images I got from Sonnet support didn't include the original "installer" disk, just various versions of the enablers and extension.

applefreak
March 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Looks like you have the original installation floppy.
send you a PM

dogcow
March 21st, 2014, 03:17 PM
I also bought a Sonnet Presto Plus but I could not get it to work. I wrote Sonnet but they told me that the only software they have for the Presto Plus would be on their website. I downloaded the files but the Presto Plus card is not recognized by my Macintosh Color Classic. I have the same problem with the big X on the Sonnet logo and the extension is crosssed out and displayed after the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen.
So, I would urgently ned the disk images for the Presto Plus card and the image for the Mac OS 8 boot disk.
Could you send them to me, too?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Unknown_K
March 21st, 2014, 04:36 PM
The software on their website is for the original Presto, not the plus. I have Presto Plus software send me a PM with an email address.