PDA

View Full Version : 5170 attached to TV

Mark2000
March 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Hi, folks. I've got a 5170 coming in today with what I assume is IBM's standard EGA card. I noticed that the card has what look like RCA connecters in the back. Since I'm still working on getting a monitor I'm wondering if the card will connect with a TV set? If so are there any jumpers I need to set? Thanks for the info!

Chuck(G)
March 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM
The "standard" EGA card RCA jacks just go to a couple of pins on the option header--i.e. they're not electrically connected to anything on the base card.

Some cards (ATI?) could output composite video over the jacks, but that was far from standard.

Mark2000
March 12th, 2012, 03:50 PM
So, is there any way to connect the system to a TV? The operations manual hints that you can, but says nothing about how to do it.

DOS lives on!!
March 12th, 2012, 03:56 PM
You can, and my Panasonic FX-600 has an RCA port on it too. Now, your card may be different, but on mine, there is a single dip switch that allows me to choose wheather I want the video signal to go through the regular video port ot the RCA port. Just find one of those RCA coords and attach one end of the yellow cord to the computer and the other to your TV. Then, tune your tele to the right "Line In" channel.

Is this what you see on the back of your card?

Mark2000
March 12th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I don't have it yet, but it'll be here in an hour or so. Darn UPS. Here's a picture of the unit. 8196

Chuck(G)
March 12th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Boy, am I confused. I thought the Panasonic FX600 Business Partner was sold with a "CGA Plus" video adapter, which is basically a bog-standard CGA with an option to render colors as 16 shades of gray for use with a monochrome monitor.

The IBM EGA card is another kettle of fish. It has 2 RCA connectors, neither of which is connected to an active circuit.