PDA

View Full Version : Seagate ST-412 Loud on spin-up while cold, quiet after an hour of running

k2x4b524[
March 12th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I know that the internal lube quite very-well possible be worn to hell. after sittin for 2 years, plugged it in, horrible screeching, popped the top, no scratched indicative of a crash, ran spinrite 2, flawless there too, all this time it got warmer and quieter, so the question, how do i go in and re-lube it, can i use turbine oil, or marine grease?

modem7
March 12th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Earlier thread on subject: http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?24710-ST412-bearing-trouble

If you search these forums, you'll find other threads on the subject of spindle lubrication in hard drives (types of lubricants, risks, etc.)

k2x4b524[
March 13th, 2012, 09:12 AM
I know modem, but when i enter the search terms, it always comes back empty for some reason, so i post the question, tedious i know, but i'm not sure if i'm even using the search function correctly.

modem7
March 14th, 2012, 03:16 AM
I know modem, but when i enter the search terms, it always comes back empty for some reason,
What I find effective is a Google site search. For example, to search these forums for 'orange', what would get typed into the Google search box is:

site:vintage-computer.com orange