PDA

View Full Version : Miniscribe 3425 HDD friction noise

nestor
March 13th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I have a Miniscribe 3425 20 MB hard disk that stopped working some days ago. It makes a weird friction noise, when the head mechanism reaches the end position. Here is a video:

http://youtu.be/rUcYaBiSu0o

What I do in the video is power up the hard disk, wait while the self-test is being done and then power it off just when the self-test finishes and the friction noise starts. While the motor is spinning down, the noise continues until it is completely stopped.

If I power it up in this state, the motor can't reach the required RPM and after some seconds, it shuts off. I have to move the head carriage mechanism turning this piece counterclockwise:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7725/20120313174003184.jpg

What can be causing this behaviour? Do you think it is repairable?

Chuckster_in_Jax
March 13th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Sounds like a head crash. The head may have even come off and the arm is scraping the disk.

NeXT
March 13th, 2012, 10:25 AM
That's a crash.
That is indeed a crash.

I have to move the head carriage mechanism turning this piece counterclockwise
You should never touch this, especially when the drive is spun down and landed.

nestor
March 13th, 2012, 10:36 AM
You should never touch this, especially when the drive is spun down and landed.
Well, I think that is not very important right now...

I remember one day some months ago, the drive started to make this noise but after some minutes it disappeared. The drive still worked until the noise reappeared, and now it is permanent.

NeXT
March 13th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Well, I think that is not very important right now...
For future reference. :)

krebizfan
March 13th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I doubt that there is any way to fix it short of replacing both platters and drive heads and if you have the resources to do that, you wouldn't be asking for advice.

Salvage the black cover plate to hide whatever drive you install next. Opening the drive up might be interesting; I wonder if the drive heads actually broke off and there are big gouges on the disk or if the damage is something less visually impressive.

k2x4b524[
March 13th, 2012, 01:54 PM
pop the top and take a pic, lets see the trolley tracks :D