PDA

View Full Version : No slot clock issues

k2x4b524[
March 16th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I'm having an issue with my no slot clock. when its loaded my cga card loses color capability, also qram refuses to optimize the system once its installed. I'm goi g to remove it and see what happens. Why would the clock do this?

Chuck(G)
March 16th, 2012, 09:09 AM
If you don't add the driver, does it behave in the same way?

The NSC is activated by accessing consecutively a group of 64 specific addresses; the likelihood of some other program doing this is miniscule (is "microscule" a word?).

The NSC that you're using could have a problem; it shouldn't be activating under any other circumstances.

mbbrutman
March 16th, 2012, 09:17 AM
As Chuck said, the no-slot clocks based on the Dallas chips generally only wake up if you send them the right combination of addresses on the address bus. That string of addresses is 64 long, so the chances on the clock waking up and doing something in response to random bus traffic is nearly impossible. Worse, the clock can only respond by putting data on the bus in response to that combination. So if you were reading from ROM and occasionally you got a timestamp back I would be worried, but losing your colorburst is not going to happen.

I'm more willing to bet that you have something loose or a broken pin.

Mike

Stone
March 16th, 2012, 09:56 AM
...the likelihood of some other program doing this is miniscule (is "microscule" a word?).Chuck, if you choose to use it then it is a word.

k2x4b524[
March 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM
The problem DOES go away once the NSC is removed, i use the program XTCLOCK to initialize it during boot up, then the clock goes dormant once again. Why would it cause the color burst to go away? There are no loose or busted pins, i would really like to use this with the 1mb XT mod i am going to be doing here within the next few days, just waiting on some parts, and it is also across several video cards.

modem7
March 16th, 2012, 04:32 PM
The problem DOES go away once the NSC is removed,
Per Chuck's question at post #2, do you see the same symptom if the NSC is fitted, but you don't run the XTCLOCK program?

Chuck(G)
March 16th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Also, if I read the NSC Manual (http://apple2scans.net/files/apple2/NSCUM.pdf), the examples all have a MODE CO80 after the XTCLOCK.COM statement in AUTOEXEC.BAT. That would seem to indicate that the XTCLOCK or CLKINIT sets the display to something other than 80 column color text.

(Don'tcha just love the old OCR-A typeface in the examples? Many years ago, all of the company (CDC) typewriters carried that font, some with "square" capital "oh" characters, and some with diamond-shaped ones. I grew to hate the typeface. OCR-B was far easier to read.)

k2x4b524[
March 16th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Really? That i didn't even catch, i'll try that once i get the bits for the 1mb xt mod.

Also, if I read the NSC Manual (http://apple2scans.net/files/apple2/NSCUM.pdf), the examples all have a MODE CO80 after the XTCLOCK.COM statement in AUTOEXEC.BAT. That would seem to indicate that the XTCLOCK or CLKINIT sets the display to something other than 80 column color text.

(Don'tcha just love the old OCR-A typeface in the examples? Many years ago, all of the company (CDC) typewriters carried that font, some with "square" capital "oh" characters, and some with diamond-shaped ones. I grew to hate the typeface. OCR-B was far easier to read.)

Terry Yager
March 16th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Chuck, if you choose to use it then it is a word.

I like it! I'll be using it from now on (uncredited, of course).

--T

ibmapc
March 16th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Which version of XTClock.com are you using? If you're using the one that Chuck(G) posted from JDR, I believe it's newer than the one I've been using. The attached file (CLOCK.ZIP) contains the older one that I have used since 1986 or so. I don't remember having any issues with color, and I haven't been issuing the Mode CO80.

k2x4b524[
March 16th, 2012, 07:34 PM
that's the one i've been using, the one you send over to me. Also, did you get my pm?

ibmapc
March 16th, 2012, 08:03 PM
that's the one i've been using, the one you send over to me. Also, did you get my pm?

Yep, I got your PM. Glad the GAL got to you in one piece. Let me know how it goes. Now to get back on topic. Did you try issuing the Mode CO80 command after XTClock.com as Chuck mentioned?