PDA

View Full Version : Question about IBM 5150

Jimmy
March 16th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I just purchased an IBM 5150 with a 16kb-64bk motherboard, it has a black power supply and only two screws in the back that holds the case. The computer looks to be in great shape with very few scuffs or marks. It has two full height floppies, both a monochrome and a CGA card both are IBM. It boots fine and both drives seem to read several floppies I have fine. The serial number on is 224238 and it still has the original Computerland sticker on it, 4250 M Scott Drive - Newport Beach, CA. near the orange county airport.

My question is did all the 16k-64kb have black power supplies, and only two screws to attach the case? Has the power supply been replaced? Is this what sometimes is referred to as a Rev-A machine?

I would really appreciate any information on this PC.

Thanks,

Jimmy

k2x4b524[
March 16th, 2012, 03:23 PM
You have what some of us lust over. BUT Are your floppies single or double sided? You say it can read floppies, so i'm assuming double sided, yes they had black power supplies, and only 2 screws on the case. you have a revision A machine most likely, maybe even with an original bios, which means you won't be able to do much upgrading without upgrading the roms first. I'd leave it as it, did it come with any software?

I just purchased an IBM 5150 with a 16kb-64bk motherboard, it has a black power supply and only two screws in the back that holds the case. The computer looks to be in great shape with very few scuffs or marks. It has two full height floppies, both a monochrome and a CGA card both are IBM. It boots fine and both drives seem to read several floppies I have fine. The serial number on is 224238 and it still has the original Computerland sticker on it, 4250 M Scott Drive - Newport Beach, CA. near the orange county airport.

My question is did all the 16k-64kb have black power supplies, and only two screws to attach the case? Has the power supply been replaced? Is this what sometimes is referred to as a Rev-A machine?

I would really appreciate any information on this PC.

Thanks,

Jimmy

modem7
March 16th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Go to http://www.minuszerodegrees.net then click on the 'IBM 5150 - Early Version' link.

Jimmy
March 16th, 2012, 04:07 PM
You know, I did not really think about it, but the couple floppies that I tried were my working copies of Dos 1.1, they are single sided 160K. Thanks for much for the information and modem7 thanks for the link.

Jimmy

Jimmy
March 16th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Modem7, thanks so much for pointing me to the site. The Bios is stamped 5700671. The monochrome adapter is identical to the one on the site as well as the floppy controller. It came with the original keyboard and monochrome monitor. No software came with it, but I have PC Dos 1.1 with original disks and manual, Digital Research CP/M-86 1.0 manual and disk for the IBM Personal Computer the DR version not the IBM version. I have two of the IBM manuals for UCSD p-system IV.0 but none of the original disks. I understand there were 5 manuals and 6 disks. I am trying to collect original IBM material for each of the 3 operating systems.

I guess this goes to show even a blind hog does find an acorn sometimes, because I really was not sure what I was buying.

I cannot thank you guys enough for answering my questions.

Jimmy

Terry Yager
March 16th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Is this what sometimes is referred to as a Rev-A machine?

Yeeeaaahhhhhh...<T's eyes glaze over>...

--T