PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5150 PC 16kb-64kb Rev. A Valuation

Jimmy
March 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I just purchased an IBM 5150 16kb-64kb PC Rev A. with the original montior and keyboard. It has 2 floppies, a monochrome and CGA adapter. From looking at the link Moden7 from here furnished, all the cards and power supply are original.

I need to know an estimated value to add to my home owners policy, I know the insurance company does not care what I paid for it, they will only insure it for its value.

I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can give.

Thanks,

Jimmy

pearce_jj
March 19th, 2012, 01:02 PM
IMO it's probably not enough to bother listing it seperately.

I spotted one for sale recently in its original boxes for $1,000, if that helps. Condition & and function are everything; but prices even on eBay vary widely week-to-week.

k2x4b524[
March 19th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Completely restored it could go for a bit, but i'd look at the value of each component, then give the total, might be worth more that way, ya know, kinda like a honda

Lorne
March 19th, 2012, 02:14 PM
In almost perfect condition (working and cosmetic) without the original boxes, I'd say $ 500.
So yeah, not worth listing seperately.
Now, if you've got all the original first edition software and manuals with it (DOS 1.0, etc), that would be a different matter.

barythrin
March 20th, 2012, 02:03 PM
One user here suggested for insurance purposes keeping/printing some recent sales of the systems at X date to show a proof of value. I agree though, I know that system has had some crazy prices in the past sometimes but I can't recall what. Not sure it's worth it unless you lump the rest of the collection in there and start proofing it all out.

SpidersWeb
March 20th, 2012, 02:43 PM
If you end up not listing it (or for anyone that doesn't list), make sure to keep proof of ownership - even if it's just photos of the machine in your home.
Loss adjusters like to see proof, or receipts, or something to indicate you're not just claiming on stuff you didn't actually own.

bettablue
March 30th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Jimmy, thanks for the reminder. Mine will definitely be added to my homeowners policy and using suggestions from this thread, I'll also include both estimated values based on high E-Bay values, and of course, photos of IBM PC installation that includes the expansion unit, CGA graphics, dual floppy drives ets.... I'm sure that's worth something.

Insurance companies can be pretty fickle without proof, so I'll be sure to have enough of that to go around.

Thanks again Jimmy. Good call!

I just purchased an IBM 5150 16kb-64kb PC Rev A. with the original montior and keyboard. It has 2 floppies, a monochrome and CGA adapter. From looking at the link Moden7 from here furnished, all the cards and power supply are original.

I need to know an estimated value to add to my home owners policy, I know the insurance company does not care what I paid for it, they will only insure it for its value.

I would appreciate any help or advice anyone can give.

Thanks,

Jimmy