PDA

View Full Version : Tower Case for IBM 5170 AT

Jimmy
March 22nd, 2012, 07:11 AM
I ran across this case to turn an IBM 5170 AT into a tower, I have seen a couple of conversion kits but they were from 3rd party vendors, but this is the first one I have seen from IBM.

Thought someone else may be interested in it.

bettablue
March 22nd, 2012, 09:27 AM
That looks interesting! What do you want for it? From looking at it, it seems like it wants parts from the 5170's case too. Do you have any part numbers or manuals to go with it? Because if I buy it, I'll definitely use it to build my next project, which is an IBM 5170 system.

I'm going to send you a PM too.

I ran across this case to turn an IBM 5170 AT into a tower, I have seen a couple of conversion kits but they were from 3rd party vendors, but this is the first one I have seen from IBM.

Thought someone else may be interested in it.

Maverick1978
March 23rd, 2012, 05:30 AM
VERY nice!

If you haven't got a buyer yet, contact LyonAdmiral - I know he was looking for one about a year ago.

@Betta - if you go for the purchase, IIRC, the 5170 computer just slides into the conversion case wholesale, then you swap back-plates (the 5170 has a backplate held on by velcro to clean up the back - you can see this clearly in Erik's photos of the 5170 on the main VC page)

lyonadmiral
March 23rd, 2012, 05:59 AM
VERY nice!

If you haven't got a buyer yet, contact LyonAdmiral - I know he was looking for one about a year ago.

@Betta - if you go for the purchase, IIRC, the 5170 computer just slides into the conversion case wholesale, then you swap back-plates (the 5170 has a backplate held on by velcro to clean up the back - you can see this clearly in Erik's photos of the 5170 on the main VC page)

I have the conversion instructions in my AT Guide to Operations, it isn't 100 percent, just slide it in, there are some brackets that you mount onto the case of the 5170 before you do and that was what I am looking for in the pictures.

framer
March 29th, 2012, 06:32 AM
I have that same case. It needs those brackets.

see here, http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?20277-How-I-view-my-vintage-collection&highlight=

look at photos 2 & 4 bottom of case

framer

bettablue
March 29th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Even more interesting! That indeed makes a big computer even bigger! I didn't see that in the original pictures of just the tower case. But from what I see, it wouldn't take much to fabricate those brackets. They could even be made from a decent softer plastic to avoid damaging the case or the tower during assembly.

I have that same case. It needs those brackets.

see here, http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?20277-How-I-view-my-vintage-collection&highlight=

look at photos 2 & 4 bottom of case

framer

framer
March 29th, 2012, 10:51 AM
They are made out of nylon, I think. They do have a shape that might have to be milled.

framer

framer
March 29th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'm missing that back plate.

framer

Shadow Lord
March 30th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Those tower conversion kits are nice. About a year ago one new in box one sold on eBay before I knew what it was or had a 5170!