PDA

View Full Version : 5.25" DD calibration disk?

geoffm3
March 28th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Does anyone know where to get a calibration disk for 5.25" drives? I'm sure this is probably a needle in a haystack, but if any such item is available I'm sure someone on here would know. :)

Chuck(G)
March 28th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Sure, Accurite still sells AADs (http://www.accurite.com/AAD.html). Not cheaply, however.

Stone
March 28th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Why do you believe that the drive needs to be callibrated? I'm asking because I have dozens of floppy drives and I've never callibrated any of them. I have, however, cleaned most, if not all of them at some point using a cleaning diskette and its accompanying solution.

Chuck(G)
March 28th, 2012, 01:29 PM
If it's a Tandon TM100-2, a need for calibration wouldn't surprise me one bit.

geoffm3
March 28th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Why do you believe that the drive needs to be callibrated? I'm asking because I have dozens of floppy drives and I've never callibrated any of them. I have, however, cleaned most, if not all of them at some point using a cleaning diskette and its accompanying solution.

I don't know if they are or aren't. In the past when I've aligned problematic Commodore 1541 drives I've just used any commercially duplicated disk and called it good. The drives in question are Coleco ADAM drives, and they tend to be problematic. They used a mechanism from MPI which I've never seen in any other drive (A SSDD drive mech) and I suspect that might be the cause, but I don't know for certain. Replacement of the mechanism is a little troublesome for the controller, because they used a disk present switch which isn't really included on most drives I've seen. (this was an optocoupler on the opposite side of the drive from the WP switch).

Chuck... I suspected that might be the case. ;)

RickNel
March 28th, 2012, 02:58 PM
If you don't have a commercial calibration disk, you can use the Disk Alignment utility in Dave Dunfield's ImageDisk suite (a free godsend). It does continuous reads and reports as you step your tracks at will, while you tweak the hardware adjustment as necessary. A commercial distribution diskette is as good a standard reference as you need.

I start at the middle track, then step in and out to be sure.

Why Tandon used a clamped cam for alignment setting instead of a worm screw, I will never understand. A whole DD track is moved in a few degrees of rotation - precision is almost impossible. Reminds me of piano-tuning.

Rick