PDA

View Full Version : Where's a good place to buy DOS games?

TeamRocketReviews
March 31st, 2012, 03:44 PM
Anyone got a good site for buying 80's DOS games from the XT/AT era?

Stone
March 31st, 2012, 03:48 PM
If you list the games you're interested in you'll likely get a decent response from people right here who have what you're looking for.

twolazy
March 31st, 2012, 04:00 PM
Alot of mine came from Goodwill or Salvation army, or got lucky on an eBay auction...

Like other day I got 2 diff versions of Wheel of Fortune, on 5.25 and 3.5, in the boxes sealed for 2 dollars each at Goodwill! ^_^
Got Street Rod and Street Rod 2 for like 3 dollars each there too little over a year ago...

I try to hit up Goodwill at least once every few weeks, first I beeline to software then to electronics. Alot of good deals on 3x4 aspect LCD's, I keep nabbing em for 6-7 bucks each, slowly upgrading all my vintage vga monitors to LCDs! :thumbsup:

Not to mention all the DIN style keyboards I nabbed there too, like my IBM XT keyboard for 5 bux! ^_^

Maverick1978
March 31st, 2012, 05:23 PM
Got Street Rod and Street Rod 2 for like 3 dollars each there too little over a year ago...

Lucky! :) I've been looking for those CIB for awhile now. I too scour the goodwills and thrift stores looking for deals, but in my area, used software is getting harder and harder to find. The last software deal I found at a goodwill was over a year ago.. It was IIRC 20-23 games that were mainly just boxes and manuals minus the actual software - bunch of stuff from LucasArts and Origin from the early/mid 90's that looked like they'd been stored in a Museum. I think I paid $10 them. Thankfully, I already had the disks and CDs to populate everything from a couple of other random ebay lots I'd purchased.

twolazy
March 31st, 2012, 06:12 PM
Ya I can't believe i found SR1+2 either! I had SR1 since I Was a kid, but the box was long gone. By far my favorite classic driving game. So now have 2 legit copies, different versions I might add. The only real difference is the one I had since I was a kid seems to have a harder road race, but sadly it wasnt mint, due to me cracking the game years prior because I lost the manual!

Tiberian Fiend
March 31st, 2012, 08:20 PM
Why bother buying them? I don't remember what they're named, but someone released torrents of every DOS game ever published in four volumes.

Unknown_K
April 1st, 2012, 12:01 AM
Thrift stores have them once in a while , but mostly early windows games these days. Ebay has them all the time but prices can be high. Early 80's games are pretty hard to find boxed and are not cheap.

VileR
April 1st, 2012, 05:49 AM
Why bother buying them? I don't remember what they're named, but someone released torrents of every DOS game ever published in four volumes.

some people want the physical media, with the box, manual, "feelies" and other collectibles.

also, those "every DOS game ever" releases (wish that claim was true) are just cobbled together from existing "abandonware" sources, so they come with the usual perks - poorly cracked executables, missing required files, '80s games hacked for '90s hardware, cdrom rips missing music, and so on and on....

Maverick1978
April 2nd, 2012, 07:43 AM
some people want the physical media, with the box, manual, "feelies" and other collectibles.

also, those "every DOS game ever" releases (wish that claim was true) are just cobbled together from existing "abandonware" sources, so they come with the usual perks - poorly cracked executables, missing required files, '80s games hacked for '90s hardware, cdrom rips missing music, and so on and on....

Well.... yes and no. There are some projects out there that attempt to forego the "scene" releases whenever possible. Though for the moment, in the first incarnations of the collections, scene releases are often the way to go.

If any of you have access to underground-gamer.com, check out the MS-DOS Project. Those guys have done fantastic work (and they know who they are - I won't out them here)

hargle
April 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
thank you. as the head honcho for that particular underground-gamer collection you're referring to, I appreciate the acknowledgment that the collection I'm working on is not a simple re-hash of everything that is already out there. (I guess I just pointed myself out, heh.)

el_VR, get ahold of me, and I can probably change your mind about what's out there.

Maverick1978
April 2nd, 2012, 12:46 PM
el_VR - contact him... he can most definitely change your mind :)

And Hargle, since you've outed yourself, a public thanks here for the work you and your team have put in on this project... it's much appreciated!