PDA

View Full Version : This Is An Awesome Deal!!!!!!!!!

DOS-Master
April 20th, 2006, 01:06 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8798025381&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

alexkerhead
April 20th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the link, I am going to get it and see if I can fix her up.

DOS-Master
April 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM
cool. tell me how everything goes

USSEnterprise
April 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM
the "slot for a second drive" is probably where the hard disk it. Thats the way it is with mine

alexkerhead
April 20th, 2006, 01:47 PM
I believe you are correct, I have never seen a compaq portable II w/o a hdd.
I will update everyone as soon as it comes in.
Now I have all three compaq portables in the series..lol

DOS-Master
April 21st, 2006, 07:59 AM

good luck on fixing it up

Terry Yager
April 21st, 2006, 08:31 AM

Four, actually (or five, if you count the 'plus' variation as a different model). I think you're overlooking the little-known 'Portable 286', a full-size '286 that came out before the smaller 'Portable II'.

--T

alexkerhead
April 21st, 2006, 04:45 PM
good luck on fixing it up
Thanks

Terry, lol, I am happy with a portable 1, portable 2, and portable 3.
They also made a portable 386, but I dont care, I just want the different case types...lol

Vlad
April 21st, 2006, 05:01 PM
They also made a portable 386

Thats the only one I've got. Still no pics on my syte though, I'm working on it.... Its pretty much that same as the Portable 3, almost.

-VK

alexkerhead
April 21st, 2006, 07:52 PM
Thats the only one I've got. Still no pics on my syte though, I'm working on it.... Its pretty much that same as the Portable 3, almost.

-VK
Indeed it is vlad.
Only it has a 386 processor and is not a part of the portable I, II, and III line.

Terry Yager
April 22nd, 2006, 12:08 AM
There's also a Portable 486, in the same form-factor. Some of the later models even offered an LCD vga-compatible screen as an alternative to the EGA gas-plasma display.

--T

Vlad
April 22nd, 2006, 06:49 AM
Wow really? I didn't know it went beyond the Portable 368. Wow, a 486, I want one!

-VK

DOS-Master
April 23rd, 2006, 05:07 PM
yeah but they're quite hard to find in the wild

Vlad
April 23rd, 2006, 05:22 PM
Figures. A 486 one would be awesome to get Win 95 going on.

-VK

alexkerhead
April 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
I don't really care for the odd models, I like series, and unique items, but some manufacturer way of selling off old components by upgrading the mainboard.
As far as I am concerned, the portable III is the last of the line.....lol

alexkerhead
April 25th, 2006, 09:50 PM
OMFG! Holy Crap, this thing got in, and I took it out of the box, not only was the casing busted up, the aluminum support structure was hella bent up. I spent 5 hours fixing this thing! 5 hours! FIVE HOURS!
So, now it is in "OK" shape by my standards.
Dang, this was a heck of a mess, my eyes and nose are burning from the smell of high end plastic glue and the accelerator to dry it faster. The keyboard had 7 bad keys, so I had to fix them too, wow, this was an ordeal!
Just thought i'd let ya'll know how it turned out.
Info and pics here (http://www.ubertechworld.com/museum/ubertech-museum_compaq_portableII.htm)

80sFreak
April 26th, 2006, 05:08 AM
I used a system like that back when they were new! I worked as a security guard at the time (extremely *boring*, watching parked cars from a car manufacturing plant - but there were Camaro's in the mix) and would lug that thing in and do some computer work for the company my dad worked for.

Cheers,

80sFreak