PDA

View Full Version : Epson MX-80 Centronics?

TeamRocketReviews
April 3rd, 2012, 07:33 AM
What's the oldest Epson printer to have the Centronics Parallel Connector? I'm wondering if I could hook an MX-80 up to an IBM compatible PC.

kb2syd
April 3rd, 2012, 08:11 AM
I can't find it, but I think the MX-80 was parallel by default with a serial option.

TeamRocketReviews
April 3rd, 2012, 09:31 AM
So would it work with a standard 25-pin printer port on an IBM PC?

kb2syd
April 3rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
With the right cable. If the epson has a 25 pin connector, then the one you have is probably not parallel. I'm pretty sure they all used that 36 pin connector for the parallel interface.

retrobits
April 3rd, 2012, 09:47 AM
I believe the Epson TX-80 was the first model with a Centronics interface, but I can't find evidence of that on the Internet right now. The TX-80 was released two years prior to the MX-80. It was a hefty beast - I got to see one in person when I worked at Epson in the early 80s.

The MX-80 is the quintessential dot-matrix printer though - that's when they really started to take off. Having one of those would be really cool. And yes, I believe it could be connected to an IBM standard printer port.

- Earl

mbbrutman
April 3rd, 2012, 09:54 AM
Indeed, the IBM Graphics Printer (5152) is based on the Epson MX.

TeamRocketReviews
April 4th, 2012, 08:31 AM
What about the RX-80? Howabout the FX-85? It seems hard to find non-IBM printers for MS-DOS PC compatibles.

Stone
April 4th, 2012, 08:41 AM
I've got several Panasonic and Citizen dot matrix printers available, if you're interested.

Chuck(G)
April 4th, 2012, 09:08 AM
What about the RX-80? Howabout the FX-85? It seems hard to find non-IBM printers for MS-DOS PC compatibles.

Really? I've used Tally, Okidata, Star, Qume, NEC, Diablo, Teletype and even CDC train printers on PCs. The "Centronics" interface is one of most common out there--you don't find many Dataproducts interfaced printers (the other parallel standard) any more.