PDA

View Full Version : Tandon TM-50

k2x4b524[
April 5th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Just picked one of these up, and all it does is return general error blah blah, jumpers are set properly, but if i noticed on the bottom, it seems the belt isn't grabbing properly, can this belt be re-tightened any? or do i need to find one, and once i do that, how to i set the rotational speed of the drive. The full height drives all have a potentiometer that i can do that, and the advanced diags for the xt allows for this, but i can't seem to find such on the tandon tm-50, it's a half height bugger too..

Chuck(G)
April 6th, 2012, 08:27 AM
If the belt's loose, it's toast and needs to be replaced.

Sometime, Lorne posted a bit on replacing belts on TM-100 drives--apparently, the belts are still available. Until you have the new belt on, I wouldn't fool with the speed.

Druid6900
April 6th, 2012, 07:33 PM
On most Tandon drives, the position of the spindle motor can be adjusted a bit by loosening the motor and moving it away from the spindle.

Coupled with cleaning the motor pulley and the spindle wheel with alcohol, and re-surfacing the belt with Rubber Renue, you should end up with a functioning drive.

Even though I have a lot of drive belts, I do this procedure first and it rarely requires changing the belt.

Lorne
April 6th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Yeah, Rubber Renue is great stuff - I did all the rollers on my sheet fed scanner, and now it works like new - not a single mis-feed in the last few months.

Try that first, and if that doesn't work PM me for a belt.

Chuck(G)
April 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
RubberRenue (read the MSDS) is oil of wintergreen (methyl salicylate) (about 30%) and xylene (balance). Use of MS is a big deal on the go-kart and motorcycle lists. I'm not convinced of the lasting qualities of the stuff (sort of like my feelings on Ret0brite). But if you'd like to try it, the cheapest retail way of getting a lot of MS is this stuff (http://www.bmikarts.com/item/Thor-Oil-Tire-Prep-12---Wintergreen-600568-5993) for a quart of the 100% methyl salicylate. Add about a gallon of xylene from Home Depot and you've got enough to last you and your friends the rest of your life. Toluene also works as a carrier--the idea is that the solvent carries the wintergreen into the rubber, then evaporates.

Again, I'm not sure how permanent the solution is, however. And it will not rescue rubber that's turned to goo.

Edit If you just need a little bit to try and you have an adult in his "golden years" around, ask them for a dab of Bengay or "Deep Heat" ointment. Both contain a considerable amount of methyl salicylate.