PDA

View Full Version : Remove/mount yoke assembly, Classic CRT

platatomi
April 17th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I have this Mac Classic with a broken CRT neck that id like to fix, of course I need to replace the CRT.

Because the existing yoke looks intact, I want to remove it and buy a bare CRT, then re-mount the old yoke on the new tube. The problem is that I can't seem to be able to get the old yoke free from the broken tube, and I am have doubts about whether I can mount it on the new tube sufficiently.

Basically, any recommendations to yoke removal/mounting instructions or documents would be great. Thanks.

Agent Orange
April 17th, 2012, 07:31 PM
I don't know anything about the MAC, but you may want to look for a small clamp with a machine screw on the yoke somewhere along the neck. They may have used a bonding agent but I doubt that.

platatomi
April 19th, 2012, 02:56 PM
I have removed the clamp but the neck inside still won't budge. There is a lot of glue on the outside of the coils but I don't see how it could be holding onto the neck.

Chuck(G)
April 19th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Sometimes the manufacturer tacked things in place using silicone rubber, so look around the neck and funnel for any of that--if you find some, try slicing through it using an X-acto knife.

Otherwise, it might be that things are just stuck with age and heat. Try spraying some WD-40 around the points where the yoke attaches and let it soak for a day. Then see if you can get it to budge.