PDA

View Full Version : Apple Lisa II + Original printer

TurboN
April 18th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Hi,

I have recently acquired a functionnal Apple Lisa II and it's original printer.

Model number : A6S0200

I also have the original owner guide in great condition
&
several programs:

- Lisa Office system 1-5
- LisaCalc
- LisaGraph
- LisaProject
- LisaList
- LisaWrite 1-2
- LisaDraw
- LisaGuide
- LisaTerminal
- MacWorks System Disk

Known problems : - the mouse is missing but we are working hard to find it
- the screen (as you will see in the pictures) is tripled up and shaking
- the printer condition is unknown, I don't own the cables to power it up and the one I have is broken.
- there are minor scratches and usage signs
- the screen has a protective plastic sticked on it with a single scratch

Since this is my first old computer personally don't have any technical knowledge on how to restore any vintage computers,

I'd like to know if any of you can inform me on how much I could ask for this bundle or what can I do to perhaps get more value out of it!!

Thanks this is much appreciated

Turbo

TurboN
April 18th, 2012, 08:30 PM

Here's a few pictures my friends

NeXT
April 18th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Welcome to the forum.
For starters you are in a pretty good position for software as you have ALL of the Apple software ever made for the Lisa. Seriously. That's it. The mice are pretty easy to find as it's just their original non-ADB version. A $30 investment there can go a long way. Your screen issue however looks like vertical sync needs to be adjusted. The plastics though from your pictures are still white. This thing didn't see much if any time out in the sun.
With detailed photographs, a Lisa will normally fetch at least $1200 on ebay, especially if it includes software and documentation.

tezza
April 19th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Congrats on the Lisa. As NeXT says the vertical sync probably needs adjusting. A search on the web will take you to some helpful Lisa sites like this one (http://lisafaq.sunder.net/).

Tez

barythrin
April 19th, 2012, 09:43 AM
You might check completed auctions for a ballpark (average a few) on what the crazy bidding can bring and then consider what you're really looking for out of it. Certainly combining it is the neatest collection item, although I'm sure the software could pull a decent penny by itself and the lisa by its self (depends who's looking). A lot of Lisa 2's have been going for right around $800 (USD) lately if they're working. Less if they have problems, but certainly worth offering to other collectors, and definitely will have attention if you post it somewhere.

Did you acquire it for any particular reason? You could even post it on the local VCGM (http://marketplace.vintage-computer.com) for no cost to you (they don't take a cut like ebay will) and if word gets around on enough Apple/collector forums you'd probably make a similar amount or at least it'd find a home and you'd still get something out of it.

applefreak
April 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Lisa info :

apple lisa (http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/apple/lisa/)

macmothership lisahome (http://www.macmothership.com/lisacontent/lisahome.html)

Apple Lisa Handbook.pdf (http://www.mjposner.com/LISA.pdf)

applefreak
April 19th, 2012, 10:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri12hbtHJ2Y

collection of alker33 (http://www.youtube.com/user/alker33)
impressive......

(not my collection)

dorkbert
April 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM
... and as predicted, all the (missing) LISAs would be found at ONE place. :rolleyes:

k2x4b524[
April 19th, 2012, 08:48 PM
i see some twiggies in that collection............

barythrin
April 20th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Not sure his entire collection but yes Alker has had some very nice stuff throughout the years. He sold a lot of highly sought after systems as well but I'm certainly envious.

TurboN
April 21st, 2012, 11:09 AM
Well actually, my dad bought this Lisa somewhere around 25-30 years ago.
About 20 years ago he kept it stored in a closet.

And now that I am 21 years old and living in my own apartment he decided I should try to sell it and keep the money,
it's his way to help me start in life.

Heh he paid 20 grands for it, back in the days that was so much money, I can't believe it will only sell back for less than 1k?? I was hoping at least 1500 :|

Anyone knows if the printer is worth anything?

applefreak
April 23rd, 2012, 11:49 PM
don't sell it
repair the Lisa 2

keep it in your apartment,
show it,
give it the best place,
start it up from time to time

printer....
not an apple printer
AFAIK

barythrin
April 24th, 2012, 08:31 AM
You an always try to get that for it. Perhaps the software would be worth it to someone with the unit. Unfortunately printers have little value if any and typically just add weight to the package. Neat if the buyer has room and wants a "full" period setup but generally not too many folks have things to print out these days.

njroadfan
April 24th, 2012, 09:10 AM
The official Apple printer for the Lisa is the Imagewriter. Easy enough for someone to obtain locally as they are pretty common. There was a Canon PJ-1080A color inkjet printer that was supported too. Tandy also sold a clone of it called the CGP-220.

RetroHacker_
April 24th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Heh he paid 20 grands for it, back in the days that was so much money, I can't believe it will only sell back for less than 1k?? I was hoping at least 1500 :|

You do realize that computers generally do NOT hold any kind of value, right? The Lisa is a very notable exception. Just about any other computer from that era is worth far, far less. The only reason the Lisa is worth so much is because it's the first of it's kind, and sold poorly, so it's rare. If he'd bought an Apple IIe instead of a Lisa, it would be worth about $40 now.

-Ian

TurboN
April 29th, 2012, 03:27 PM
don't sell it
repair the Lisa 2

keep it in your apartment,
show it,
give it the best place,
start it up from time to time

printer....
not an apple printer
AFAIK

Well I'll try my best to repair my Lisa I guess she, with time, will only get more valuable.

But the printer is an apple printer...the logo is just out of the borders of the pictures. I haven't thought about it while I took the pictures. :X I could upload another picture.

applefreak
May 8th, 2012, 01:38 AM
The Apple letter-quality printer
Qume daisy wheel engine

R_F
May 20th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Well actually, my dad bought this Lisa somewhere around 25-30 years ago.
About 20 years ago he kept it stored in a closet.

And now that I am 21 years old and living in my own apartment he decided I should try to sell it and keep the money,
it's his way to help me start in life.

Anyone knows if the printer is worth anything?
I saw a Lisa 2/5 with software go a lot higher than $800. I think it sold for around $2000. That was in 2008 I think. I have a PDF of the auction somewhere.