PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest retro arcade game?

TeamRocketReviews
April 21st, 2012, 11:36 AM
What would be a really cheap retro arcade machine to start out with? I'm looking to branch out into arcade games, but I don't know exactly what the price range for them is.

SkydivinGirl
April 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
You can get them fairly cheap. Best place to look is your local Craig's List. If you can find an arcade game auction then you might be able to get a great deal on one. I bought a fully working Golden Axe machine at an auction for $10!

Heather

twolazy
April 21st, 2012, 07:35 PM
I was considering the same thing, but prob will just make a MAME machine this summer... Makes me want to look some more, maybe I can find a cabinet cheap.

$10!!!!!! OMG for GOLDEN AXE! *jealous*

TeamRocketReviews
April 22nd, 2012, 05:27 AM
Hmmm... How much would a Donkey Kong cocktail cabinet go for?

Maverick1978
April 23rd, 2012, 08:33 AM
Unless your name is Heather and you run into a steal of an auction for Golden Axe at auction.. ;) - Figure on forking out some bucks for any of the popular/historically-significant games.

As always, condition dictates cost in most cases.

Also... Googling around at arcade auction sites, forums, Craigslist, and eBay are great ways to get a feel for what things will cost.

barythrin
April 23rd, 2012, 12:34 PM
Most of the systems I see are in the low hundreds, unless they were a more popular/collectible title (Pacman, Galaga, etc). If you're just going to use the guts it may not matter and broken arcades can be found for in the lower hundreds although I don't see them as often. Of course I'm not constantly looking either. I hear you can occasionally find a cabinet for under $100 though. If you're looking for the arcade boards, etc then you'll want to do some reading on compatibility between systems like JAMMA, etc.

TeamRocketReviews
April 23rd, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'm looking for functioning games. I'd like a Donkey Kong to start out with, how much? Is there a tabletop/cocktail version?

dstone
April 23rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
In the central Oklahoma area, an upright Donkey Kong in nice condition will typically fetch $800 or more. Keep in mind that condition and location can cause prices to vary quite a bit. Yes, they made a cocktail version.

dabone
April 23rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
I paid 10.00 for a Non working Dragon Spirit at auction before (It needed a power supply.)

The auctions are the way to go, when I was a bit younger I had 22 arcade games in my house. Now I'm down to 2 mame cabs, and a Monoco GP.

(Not mine, but the same type).

Ahh, I just saw you said functioning. For the classics, no where is going to be cheap anymore, I do have a stripped out pacman cab in my basement that is
free for anybody that wants it. :).

Later,
dabone

Maverick1978
April 23rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Ahh, I just saw you said functioning. For the classics, no where is going to be cheap anymore, I do have a stripped out pacman cab in my basement that is
free for anybody that wants it. :).

Dude! If it's still there in a few months... I may take you up on that! I'll be heading to a friend's house in Knoxville... picking this up on the way back to FL would be very cool.

dabone
April 23rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
It's been there for 6 years, just remember to message me around then.

Later,
dabone