PDA

View Full Version : Macintosh SE Ram...

Kavan Sidhu
April 22nd, 2012, 09:50 PM
Want to replace the ram in my fdhd. The only problem is I don't know how. Got the tools to open it yesterday. Found cool signatures in the back from the dev team. But the rest was dusty. I prayed not to break anything. And after replacing the cover and foil it still boots. How cool. But while inside I was afraid to break anything. So I couldn't get any clear shots of the motherboard.

Does any one have pictures of the se motherboards. Want to see where the resistor is behind the4 ram slots (where it is and what it looks like). And the difference between that version with the jumper. Trying to tell what board version I have and its hard to get a good look without destroying it.

So some pics would really help. Thanks, kss

Le_Bear
April 22nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
post some pictures and we'll tell ya ;) i really can't help much without em. Have you googled for a user/service manual ? maybe it would tell you which screws to turn :)

Kavan Sidhu
April 23rd, 2012, 09:10 AM
I know how to do it I was just hoping for some pictures of the motherboards so I can see what the jumper looks like. Here are pictures of my unit.

http://www.chicagoautismsociety.com/projects/serevival/

2. are the tools I used to open the case. 3. is the inside. And 4. are the rare signatures.

applefreak
April 23rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Macintosh SE - Memory upgrade (http://lowendmac.com/ram/se.shtml)

twolazy
April 23rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
Macintosh SE - Memory upgrade (http://lowendmac.com/ram/se.shtml)

If it is so dusty you cannot even tell if there is a jumper, might be time to clean it! >.> That layer of dust is just trapping in heat.

I know when I got my Mac Classic inside was enough dust to choke a horse. At least 2" if not more in spots! Just take an air compressor to it. :)

Kavan Sidhu
April 23rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
I decided to be brave and do it anyway. Now I got 4mb of ram. Took out floppy, hard drive, and motherboard power cable. Then slid board out and to my surprise I had the tiny black jumper so removed it and installed new ram. Now I got 4mb of ram. Only bad thing was the clips were so tight. Bottom right facing the screen as if board was installed. The bottom slot right side of clip broke. But chips were so tight it stayed in place with the left clip. And 4mb is the max so I never need to open it again. I was scared. But it turned on and no sad mac. Booted right away and now I'm good. Took few seconds longer first time so I was scared. But now it works.

So I got 4mb now and even says under about this finder total 4096k or whatever. So thanks for replying. A guy at macrumors also filled in.

twolazy
April 30th, 2012, 02:36 PM
So I got 4mb now and even says under about this finder total 4096k or whatever. So thanks for replying. A guy at macrumors also filled in.

Woot! WTG! Glad to see another mac being upgraded and enjoyed! :) If you need any more help just holler. And if you need software, more then willing to help. I do have system 7.0.1 in winimage .dsk format if you need it, and think 7.5.1 also. Had to make the diskettes for my Mac Classic, and just backed them up each time with winimage. :thumbsup: