PDA

View Full Version : Damaged grill on 515x monitors

ChrisCwmbran
April 23rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
I've been trying to find posts with regards to people having cracked grills on top of IBM 515x monitors with no luck.

I have a monitor, (I think its my 5151) where someone has whacked the top and broken the grille. Has anyone dealt with repairing these grills before?

Thanks.

SpidersWeb
April 23rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
Are you missing pieces or is it just a crack?
and do you want a museum finish (like it never even happened) or just so that it's solid again (e.g. solid and looks ok but you can still see the crack)?

I can't help with the first, but the latter should be easy unless you're missing bits.
There are also users on here with dud 515x monitors, who may sell you the replacement casing for the rear.

Stone
April 23rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
I've got two duds!

twolazy
April 23rd, 2012, 02:08 PM
If its just a crack, I've had good luck with plastic binders like used on models. I fixed an old compaq case, can barely even tell unless you look super close.

Name of the glue is araldite, its a super clear 2 part epoxy. Clear as glass. Modelers use it on clear parts. Just dont use superglue, it never holds up.

ChrisCwmbran
April 24th, 2012, 01:24 AM
I've been trying to find posts with regards to people having cracked grills on top of IBM 515x monitors with no luck.

I have a monitor, (I think its my 5151) where someone has whacked the top and broken the grille. Has anyone dealt with repairing these grills before?

Thanks.

There is a crack and a section about 2 inches square missing. I havent had a chance to open the monitor yet to see if the parts are inside. I suspect they are.

I should be able to take some photos of the damage at the weekend.

Thanks for all your comments so far.

As far as replacement parts from other monitors people may have, I think the problem might be the fact I'm in the UK!

mikey99
April 24th, 2012, 05:05 AM
You could remove the rear case, and carefully cut the grille section out using a slow speed jigsaw.
Then get a piece of that perforated metal from Home Depot, cut a piece slightly bigger than the hole.
Paint the metal in a matching color if desired.
Place the metal on the inside of the case, drill a hole in each corner and use four screws to attach.
Wont look original, but will be functional and look better than cracks or missing plastic.

ChrisCwmbran
April 24th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Again good ideas.

I'll have to assess the damage more fully at the weekend. I'll upload photos too.

It's a shame - my IBM kit is amongst the stuff I have the most sentiment for.