PDA

View Full Version : Apple RGB Screen. Any easy way to tell if it's working?

tezza
April 26th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Hi Guys,

I have an Apple RGB screen..the type you might use on an Apple IIGS, or LC. It came from a IIGS which was destroyed by battery acid (http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2008-9-4-leaky%20battery%20consequences%20in%20an%20appleII gs.htm). A IIGS board and box has become available for sale here but I'm not sure if this screen works. When the screen is on but unattached I can't see any kind of raster, or even a white blank screen when I turn the brilliance up. Should I be able to see one?

I don't want to buy this IIGS box is the screen is also unusable/broken. Unfortunately I don't have anything I can test it on.

Any info gratefully received.

Tez

TanruNomad
April 26th, 2012, 09:11 PM
That's normal. The IIGS CRT monitor will not display anything unless its connected to the computer. You should still see the green LED light come on and hear the normal hum sound associated with a CRT though. If those things aren't happening, that's not good. Knock on wood, but I've never had a IIGS monitor that was broken beyond simple repairs so I'd risk it and buy the computer.

twolazy
April 26th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Tanru is totally right. When I was playing with the one I bought earlier today, I turned it on before hooking it up expecting to see the screen mask. Not seeing anything I hooked it up to the LC and bingo presto chango it works fine. I did notice that you will get alot of static electricity on the screen when it kicks on. Maybe that could be your sign?

tezza
April 27th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I dragged it out. The green light lights up when UI turn it on, and there does seem to be static on the screen, especially when I turn it off after it's been on a while. From what you've said I think it might be ok.

Thanks guys.

Now I just have to see what this guy wants to let the box go for. A IIGS is not at the top of my want list but if the price is right (and it's a ROM 3)....

Tez