PDA

View Full Version : Germainian Critterz?

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 09:33 AM
So I'm sittin here, insomniac, with one eye on the TV, and the other's undived attention directed here. The program on the History Channel is all about the Autobahn, but so far, they haven't addressed *my* big question, namely: Don't they have deer in Germany??? I mean, I can dig the need for speed, but around here, Bambi jumping out from behind a roadside trash-barrel is always a major concern (especially since a lot of that style of driving is done at night and/or in the boondocks, with long streaches of good road, away from traffic and (hopefully), police). Center-punching a full-grown buck at >100 mph can make for one helluva crack-up, which is usually enough of a deterrant for me to keep the speed down in those areas. How do the Autobahn speedsterz handle this possibility?

--T

dpatten
April 26th, 2006, 06:12 AM
They DO have deer in Germany but, I never saw one while I was there (9 Mo.) anywhere near the autobahn. Then again I had my rental Turbo Volvo wagon floored anytime I was on it so seeing things on the shoulders was a blur...

For that matter I only saw one accident on the autobahn that whole time. A motorcyclist center-punched a giant metal highway overpass support at ~150 MPH. His crotch rocket was literally turned into pieces no larger that my fist. I won't talk about what the Polizei were having to do to recover his body. (Think snow shovels...) However, I did see more fender-benders on surface streets in my first week than I normally see in a years time in the states.

Jorg
April 26th, 2006, 07:47 AM
There are deer and small animals, but normally the roads are fenced, with tunnels or bridges where wildlife can pass.
Hey, you got to get your priorities right!