PDA

View Full Version : Noooooooo!!!!

bbcmicro
April 25th, 2006, 10:15 AM
God damn I HATE it when this happens!

I was all for bidding on this ORIC 1 and I missed the god damn auction! I just forgot!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8798383714&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

It happened the other day with a data recorder. And a BBCmicro Printer. Grarrg!!

Sorry about that. I just had to vent my spleen. Heheh, 'spleen'

USSEnterprise
April 25th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I love the word spleen

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I know the feeling, I tend to snipe at the last minute, too (please, ghawd, don't let me forget the MMC-1 that's ending tonite!)...

--T

bbcmicro
April 25th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I wait 'till the last few seconds (usually) and hope that my max. bid is enough! I feel a bit mean stealing the auction after the last minute, quite a lot of times there's two guys bidding for the last five minutes, and with seconds to spare I nip in and nab it! *maniacal laughter*

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I've bought/sold enough stuff on eBay to know that the only bid that counts is that last-minute one. I've also had auctions snatched away with just a few seconds left.

--T

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 12:51 PM
What's really annoying though, is when the net is running slower than usual. It normally takes me between 8 & 12 seconds to enter my bid, but just a little more net-lag than usual can screw you too.

--T

Erik
April 25th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Sniping software is your friend.

When I see something I want I just go there, enter my bid and walk away. It's never failed (to bid, anyway - I do lose but never forget.)

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I know, but it just doesn't seem fair to me, even though I know that other bidders are doing it. I don't believe in baiting for deer or shooting from a blind either. I like to give the game at least a 50-50 chance (I mean, where's the sport in out-smarting a st00pit deer?). It's just the idea of a well-fed animal killing a hungry one while it's standing over it's food. /rant

Of course, there's a point somewhere where this philosophy becomes utter madness. My brother, who taught me a lot about huntin' n fishin', actually goes bear hunting with a muzzle-loader!?!?...??? His theory is that if he can't kill the critter with one shot, then the damn thang deserves an easy meal.
I've gone boar hunting with him before, but I'd rather err on the side of caution when facing-down a 600-lb. razorback in full-charge mode (trust me, all you see is a pair of 8" tusks commin' on at 35 mph). I'd rather carry a sidearm and not need it than to need one and not have it.

BTW, this same brother also rides rodeo bullz 'just to relax'...???!!!??? (He's the only guy I've ever met who's even crazier than me).

--T

Erik
April 25th, 2006, 01:31 PM
I know, but it just doesn't seem fair to me, even though I know that other bidders are doing it.

Yeah, but you can set the lead time to whatever you want. Is it really a snipe with a lead time of 1 hour or 5 or 24?

All it does is remember for you. That's something I sure need!

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Well, there's more to it than that though. There's also the little adrenaline rush of waiting with baited breath, your finger gently caressing the mouse button (trigger?), waiting for just the right moment, immediately followed by the dopamine surge in your brain following a successful 'kill'. Hey, it's hard-wired into our DNA, going all the way back to the time of our Troglodyte ancestors.

--T

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Well, I just realized that 'MY' MMD-1 auction is set to end at around 4:30 this morning. Since I haven't slept in about 36 hours, I can't be sure I'll be available for that last-minute bid (I never know just when I might run outta gas and collapse on the spot). My only bidding strategy in cases like this is to place a somewhat-higher-than-normal bid, and hope for the best (sh!t-dumb luck still works sometimes).

--T

Terry Yager
May 11th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Got my MMD-1 yesterday, and she's a beaut! Absolute mint condition.

--T

Erik
May 11th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Awesome! Congrats!

Mine's pretty clean and complete as well. Fun toys for all! :D

CP/M User
May 11th, 2006, 02:25 PM
USSEnterprise wrote:

> I love the word spleen

I despise it.

CP/M User.

Terry Yager
May 11th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Awesome! Congrats!

Mine's pretty clean and complete as well. Fun toys for all! :D

Now all I gotta do is figger out this octal thinggy. Hell, I was just starting to get the hang of hex, now I have whole 'nother number system to deal with. Gotta agree tho, it is fun to play with.

--T

CP/M User
May 11th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Terry Yager wrote:

> Now all I gotta do is figger out this octal thinggy.
> Hell, I was just starting to get the hang of hex, now
> I have whole 'nother number system to deal with.
> Gotta agree tho, it is fun to play with.

The beauty of Binary is it's either 1 or 0! ;-)

CP/M User.

bbcmicro
May 12th, 2006, 05:56 AM
> I love the word spleen

I despise it.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you there

Its one of my favourite words, apart from Porridge.;)

Terry Yager
May 12th, 2006, 06:48 AM
I understand binary, and for the most part, hex. Both make sense to me, but for some reason, octal just confuses me. Course, it doesn't help that my new toy inputs in octal, and outputs straight binary, so ya hafta kinda do the conversion in your head for every i/o operation.

--T

carlsson
May 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Yep, I have never used octal much at all, and I have to think slowly to convert from either hex or bin. Actually, bin to oct is easy if you group the digits three by three, and then read out the value:

10010011 = 10,010,011 = oct 223
10010011 = 1001,0011 = hex 93 (= dec 147)

Terry Yager
May 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Eurika! A breakthrough, I think. TNX, Anders, I think I see the connection now...
Converting four or sixteen (even number) digits into three (odd) was giving me fits, like converting apples into oranges.

--T

CP/M User
May 12th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Terry Yager wrote:

> Eurika! A breakthrough, I think. TNX, Anders, I think
> I see the connection now...

Through the beauty of Binary! ;-)

CP/M User.

Terry Yager
May 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I'm just too right-brained to follow such abstract concepts...
I see now how it works...it's all about the groupings of the digits instead of the values of the digits themselves.

--T

carlsson
May 13th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Glad to help! If you ever encounter a base-4 (nybble) system, you can apply the same thinking, by grouping binary digits two by two.

Terry Yager
May 13th, 2006, 01:53 PM
I think I'm getting it a little now. I got kinda bogged-down a couple times today, but somehow managed to extricate myself without having to hit the BigRedSwitch (of course, I won't mention how many times I did have to). I'm keying-in the examples in the manual, and as long as I can avoid thinking about what I'm inputting at the kbd, and just follow the LEDs, I can pretty much understand what the program is doing.

--T