PDA

View Full Version : Thick Thin client

Vlad
April 25th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I have a Compaq tower at 500MHz that for some reason doesn't like to have Hard drives of anykind. SO I turned it into a diskless workstation with network access. But I have an OS problem. I'm useing DSL now, but it always looks back to the CD a lot. Puppy linux puts EVERY thing into RAM, but has take a little to long to boot. (And I don't really care for it.) Anyone know a good Live CD Disrto that would do better? Or should I just stick to DSL? Any other thoughts? I'm NOT PXE booting.....

-VK

PS

I made this post with the Thin Client. It works!!

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 10:59 AM
DamnSmall? Knopix?? ...???

--T

Vlad
April 25th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Damn small linux IS DSL......

I forgot about Knoppix. A little big though isn't it?

Vlad
April 25th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Ugh, Knoppix "decompresses on the fly" Just like DSL is, only its alot bigger. I guess I need to find another distro that doesin't decompress on the fly and just shoves everything into RAM...

-VK

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Oh, ok. I thought you were referring to DigitalSignalLine (a commom misunderstanding, it seems).

--T

Vlad
April 25th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Ah well, I should have spelled it out. It looks like I'm stuck with DSL though. All of the other Live CD distros seem to be huge. I'll stick to DSL for now....

-VK

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Does it actually extract on-the-fly, or set up a ramdisk that it loads to?

--T

Vlad
April 25th, 2006, 12:36 PM
It decompresses what it needs from the CD and puts in on the ramdisk on the fly. So it would keep looking to the CD every time it needed something it didn't have. The other distro put itself entirly into ram, I think I'm going to give it another shot....

-VK

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Can you tweak the ramdisk size settings, to load more software and not thrash the CD?

--T

Vlad
April 25th, 2006, 01:02 PM
I don't know. I'll look into that. I tired the other, ugh, it had some stability issues and was sluggish. I'll stick to DSL and try to reconfig the ramdisk....

Thanks for the idea.

-VK

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Yeah, loading everything into memory doesn't sound like a good idea, even if you have a gimongous amount of RAM. Files on a ramdisk can be overwritten in a fifo manner as needed without 'stealing' RAM that's needed for program execution.

--T

Vlad
April 25th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Thats probably why the other one had so many problems. I'm useing 50MB distros with 192 MB of Ram.

-VK

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 01:38 PM
At least with the ramdisk, you can set the rdisk to a certain size while reserving as much as possible for your program to use. That 'load it all & let the CPU sort it out' plan is NotAGoodThing, cause it might be loading 160Mb (of which 100Mb might not even be needed/used), leaving only 30Mb available for program execution.

--T

Vlad
April 25th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I have it set right now so that the OS has 53MB of RAM out of 192, so I'm only useing 28% of the RAM for OS functions. Actually, I'm useing 28% of the RAM with 3 FireFox tabs open and an MP3 playing. It's not looking to the CD-ROM that often anymore either. Seems pretty good.

-VK

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 02:00 PM
That might account for the sluggishness...

--T

USSEnterprise
April 25th, 2006, 03:21 PM
will the computer boot off of a USB, or can you find a floppy linux startup which will see a USB drive and be able to load linux from it?

Vlad
April 25th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Nah, Sadly the machine is too old for that.

-VK

USSEnterprise
April 25th, 2006, 03:38 PM
a zip or jaz drive on the parallel port?

Vlad
April 25th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Nope. Nothing on the Parallel port. The only Zip Drive I have is internal. But running it off a zip would be the same as running it off the CD.....

-VK

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Nope. Nothing on the Parallel port. The only Zip Drive I have is internal. But running it off a zip would be the same as running it off the CD.....

-VK

Nah...even slower...

--T

USSEnterprise
April 25th, 2006, 05:20 PM
It won't see a hdd on primary or secondary IDE? A SCSI Card?

Vlad
April 25th, 2006, 05:26 PM
A hard drive kinda defeates the poupose of a diskless thin client.....

It'll see HD's just fine, I now realize that the ribbion cable I took out of it was shot. So there probably nothing wrong with it at all, I just want to play with it now. I like the no hard drive thing with Linux. Ya never have to worry about reg issues. If anyting goes wrong, just reboot and your right back to the the start. Its pretty care free, as long as you don't scratch it's CD. Sure I could probably put a hard drive and install a distro, but this is way more fun. I plugged 2 jump drives into it for storage and to save my settings. It's a nice setup, now if only the tower wasn't so honky.....

-VK

Terry Yager
April 25th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Kewl!

--T