PDA

View Full Version : 20 years ago

Vlad
April 26th, 2006, 03:47 PM
It was today April 26, 1986 that Reactor Number 4 at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station became unstable during a test run. The reactor was an RBMK-1000 Nuclear Fission Reactor used to generate electricity. There were 2 explosions, the first was due to extreme pressure that built up and blew the top off the reactor itself. The second was the fuel rods breaking up sending a large radioactive cloud over the Ukraine and most of Europe. That was 20 years ago today and the town of Chernobyl is still deserted due to high levels of radiation. It will still be several more years before anything can live there due to the radioactivity. It is considered the worst Nuclear disaster in history. It was discovered after the accident that the RBMK-1000 had a design flaw, but that did not cause the accident. It was caused be operator error, the safety system had engaged, but its warnings were ignored until the reaction was too unstable to regain control over it causing the explosions. All four reactors at the Chernobyl Plant have been permanently taken offline.

alexkerhead
April 27th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the rememberance, that is a subject that need be remembered. Hopefully it will keep on reminding what a dangerous thing(nuclear energy) we play with.

Vlad
April 27th, 2006, 08:54 AM
You know a strange thing? There are still around 4-5 RBMK-1000 reactors still running in Russia. The design flaw wasn't bad enough to hault operations, you just have to really watch them closely..... I used to have a diagram of one, I'll see if I can dig it up.

-VK

alexkerhead
April 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Yeah, it is very very very very very hard to disasemble a nuclear reactor, so they just added multiple security features.
Interesting you have a diagram, be nice to take a look.