PDA

View Full Version : Found a possible source for 8-bit ISA Floppy Contollers that support 3.5/1.44M

Boomer6345
May 11th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Hello...first post...been lurking for a week now....

I just bought an old Zenith Z-159...the PC clone model of my youth....it seems to be working okay except the dual 360K floppies are not working. I want to go with a 3.5" / 144M and a 5.25" / 1.2M setup. And then I need to score one of the XT-IDE controllers to add a hard drive.

Already seem to have a Video Seven VGA card working in it and scored a 3Com ethernet card. Well on my way to making this a sweet 8088 rig!

Right now....first priority is....I need a floppy controller to allow me to use the newer format floppy drives....

Check this out:

http://www.vesalia.de/e_catweasel.htm?slc=us

This site seems to be Amiga focused but it says this floppy controller is 8-bit ISA and supports PCs and 3.5" / 1.44M floppies. Looks like it has a BIOS to allow booting as well.

What do you gurus think? Does this look good? Is there a better source?

MikeS
May 11th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Hello...first post...been lurking for a week now....

What do you gurus think? Does this look good? Is there a better source?Kinda overkill IMHO for what you need. I didn't see any on eBay at the moment, but 8-bit 4-mode controllers with BIOS do turn up from time to time so if you're not in a hurry...

Or maybe someone here who has one for sale will read your post.

marcoguy
May 11th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I've got a Seagate ST02 SCSI controller that also supports 1.44/1.2Mb FDDs. It works with most SCSI HDDs because of the later BIOS version. PM me if interested.

Chuck(G)
May 11th, 2012, 09:09 AM
It isn't what you think it is--and the site looks a bit out of date. The last Catweasel that I heard of being manufactured was the MK IV.

At any rate, these are not conventional controllers--they are what I call "time domain" controllers. That is, they contain just enough logic to select a drive or seek, but that's where the operation similarity ends.

They contain a 128KB SRAM chip and a counter. During a read operation, the counter runs until an edge of a read pulse comes by--the counter value is then stored in the RAM and the process repeats. After the whole track (index-to-index) is processed, the host may then read the sample RAM and interpret it. Writing is done in an analogous manner. There is no data separator, address mark recognition or any other capability.

This leads to enormous flexibility, but at a high price--data interpretation is done strictly by software a track at a time; similarly, formulation of data to be written is likewise performed by software (including issues such as precompensation).

This is not something that you'd use with bog-standard software--it's a specialized tool.

kb2syd
May 11th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I was looking at floppy controllers today on EBay. I saw 8 bit ISA controllers that handle high density for as little as $12 including shipping.

Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISA-floppy-disk-controller-card-box-/280876462550?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accesso ries&hash=item41658ab1d6

Boomer6345
May 11th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I was looking at floppy controllers today on EBay. I saw 8 bit ISA controllers that handle high density for as little as $12 including shipping.

Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISA-floppy-disk-controller-card-box-/280876462550?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accesso ries&hash=item41658ab1d6

Wow...missed that one....been searching e-bay for days and only found one for $80 or more.....thanks!

sergey
May 11th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Maybe it is a common knowledge, but anyway, regular 16-bit AT Multi I/O cards will work in 8-bit slot, including the floppy controller, serial ports, parallel port, and joystick, and excluding the IDE (although it is possible that lower 8-bit of IDE bus will work, and given proper software support that might be enough for compact flash cards).

In order to get 1.44 MB floppy support with these controllers a BIOS extension such as 2M.COM (http://www.simtel.net/product/view/id/44059) is required. The default PC/XT BIOS won't support anything above 720KB.

BTW Jameco sells Goldstar Prime 2C based IDE/floppy controllers for less than $4: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_291901_-1

Boomer6345
May 11th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Maybe it is a common knowledge, but anyway, regular 16-bit AT Multi I/O cards will work in 8-bit slot, including the floppy controller, serial ports, parallel port, and joystick, and excluding the IDE (although it is possible that lower 8-bit of IDE bus will work, and given proper software support that might be enough for compact flash cards).

In order to get 1.44 MB floppy support with these controllers a BIOS extension such as 2M.COM (http://www.simtel.net/product/view/id/44059) is required. The default PC/XT BIOS won't support anything above 720KB.

BTW Jameco sells Goldstar Prime 2C based IDE/floppy controllers for less than $4: http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_291901_-1

So PC/XT clones most likely will not boot to a 1.44 floppy, even with a controller card with it's own BIOS? I assume that 2M.COM BIOS extension is loaded via config.sys which means the system needs to have already booted...

Also - is there a controller card like the one you linked that has a game port and is known to work in an 8-bit slot?

kb2syd
May 11th, 2012, 12:47 PM
A controller with it's own BIOS will boot to a 1.44 mb floppy. I don't know how a 1.44 mb floppy will work in the situation described by sergey. It would probably only work as a 360k disk until the extensions are loaded.

sergey
May 11th, 2012, 01:06 PM
So PC/XT clones most likely will not boot to a 1.44 floppy, even with a controller card with it's own BIOS? I assume that 2M.COM BIOS extension is loaded via config.sys which means the system needs to have already booted...

Also - is there a controller card like the one you linked that has a game port and is known to work in an 8-bit slot?

You'll be able to boot from 1.44 MB floppy if your controller has a ROM BIOS extension and it supports 1.44 MB floppies.

For the solution that I've described 1.44 MB support will work after loading the extension, and so it can't be used for booting from 1.44 MB disks. Although you can boot from a 3.5" 720 KB floppy...

Some of these Multi-IO cards have game/joystick port, and it will work in 8-bit slot (actually Prime 2C controller has a game port, but the board that Jameco sells doesn't implement it). Here is a card that does have all the ports: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LGS-P2C94002-Prime-2C-MKIII-Multi-I-O-Controller-TESTED-/150795026571

P.S. If you will decide to use 16-bit card, make sure you can properly insert it into your motherboard, and the 16-bit part of the ISA connector doesn't interfere with the components on the motherboard. (Just try inserting some another 16-bit card and see if it fits correctly).

Boomer6345
May 11th, 2012, 01:33 PM
You'll be able to boot from 1.44 MB floppy if your controller has a ROM BIOS extension and it supports 1.44 MB floppies.

For the solution that I've described 1.44 MB support will work after loading the extension, and so it can't be used for booting from 1.44 MB disks. Although you can boot from a 3.5" 720 KB floppy...

Some of these Multi-IO cards have game/joystick port, and it will work in 8-bit slot (actually Prime 2C controller has a game port, but the board that Jameco sells doesn't implement it). Here is a card that does have all the ports: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LGS-P2C94002-Prime-2C-MKIII-Multi-I-O-Controller-TESTED-/150795026571

P.S. If you will decide to use 16-bit card, make sure you can properly insert it into your motherboard, and the 16-bit part of the ISA connector doesn't interfere with the components on the motherboard. (Just try inserting some another 16-bit card and see if it fits correctly).

Thanks....just bought that card you linked. Should fit fine in my Zenith....

Just need an IDE controller that works now....this is fun!!!

MikeS
May 11th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Thanks....just bought that card you linked. Should fit fine in my Zenith....

Just need an IDE controller that works now....this is fun!!!I'd be surprised if you can actually boot from it, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

MikeS
May 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM

Like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISA-floppy-disk-controller-card-box-/280876462550?pt=US_Vintage_Computing_Parts_Accesso ries&hash=item41658ab1d6If you look closely it appears that the parts that make it multi-mode are missing.

sergey
May 11th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I'd be surprised if you can actually boot from it, but I'll be happy to be proved wrong.

It worked for me (on a couple of XT clones with Taiwanese BIOS).
From hardware perspective AT FDC is backward compatible with the PC one (as long as you don't touch AT-specific registers). So there is no reason why it won't work with 360 KB or 720 KB floppy drives. 720 KB floppies just have 80 tracks instead of 40 for 360 KB, and BIOS Int 13h doesn't check the track number (CH register):

; REGISTERS FOR READ/WRITE/VERIFY/FORMAT
; (DL) - DRIVE NUMBER (0-3 ALLOWED, VALUE CHECKED)
; (DH) - HEAD NUMBER (0-1 ALLOWED, NOT VALUE CHECKED)
; (CH) - TRACK NUMBER (0-39, NOT VALUE CHECKED)
; (CL) - SECTOR NUMBER (1-8, NOT VALUE CHECKED,
; NOT USED FOR FORMAT)
; (AL) - NUMBER OF SECTORS (MAX=8, NOT VALUE CHECKED,
; NOT USED FOR FORMAT)
; (ES:BX) - ADDRESS OF BUFFER (NOT REQUIRED FOR VERIFY)

Chuck(G)
May 11th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Well, certainly the read-back for the drive type jumpers is missing as is the third and fourth drive interface ICs. I wonder if this isn't just a controller with a BIOS to function as a second-third drive controller (port 037xH). At any rate, it doesn't match the photo that I have in my old JDR catalog (whence this thing comes).

MikeS
May 11th, 2012, 04:17 PM
It worked for me (on a couple of XT clones with Taiwanese BIOS).
...there is no reason why it won't work with 360 KB or 720 KB floppy drives. 720 KB floppies just have 80 tracks instead of 40 for 360 KB, and BIOS Int 13h doesn't check the track number (CH register)...No doubt, but the OP wants to bootfrom an HD drive (although I suppose maybe he could use a 720K DD diskette...)

Boomer6345
May 11th, 2012, 06:12 PM
No doubt, but the OP wants to bootfrom an HD drive (although I suppose maybe he could use a 720K DD diskette...)

Mike S - just trying to understand in more detail.....

Are you saying that PC/XTs usually cannot boot an HD disk even with special BIOS on the controller card? So maybe I could boot a 3.5" DD disk but that is it?

What limit is there in the PC or BIOS that prevents this? I'd really like to know what I am up against....

Also - do you think my Zenith will give me even more trouble as it is a bit of a different clone than most?

MikeS
May 11th, 2012, 08:07 PM
...Are you saying that PC/XTs usually cannot boot an HD disk even with special BIOS on the controller card? So maybe I could boot a 3.5" DD disk but that is it?No, if the controller indeed has a 'BIOS', i.e. a driver in ROM that replaces the limited floppy capabilities in your motherboard's BIOS, then you'll be good to go with whatever disk drive types it can handle.

The trouble is that most floppy controller cards, even when they have the hardware to control high density drives, still rely on the system BIOS for the intelligence to actually control the various different drives and disks. If it is an HD-capable controller but doesn't have a BIOS, and the main BIOS doesn't know about HD drives either, then you can load a driver to use the HD disks but of course that won't be available at boot time.

The ideal solution is an 8-bit multi-mode controller with a BIOS that's specifically intended to solve this issue. The first one linked to above is actually one of those, but unfortunately it is a stripped-down version that presumably only handles one or two types; it might actually be configured for what you want, but it'd be a gamble.

As it happens, a 720K 3.5" drive or even many 1.44M drives with a 720 disk in it are more or less equivalent to a 360K 5.25" drive, only with twice as many tracks, so your controller probably wouldn't know the difference; thus you could probably boot from a 720K diskette and then load a driver to use the 1.44M HD capability.

Also - do you think my Zenith will give me even more trouble as it is a bit of a different clone than most?I can't think of any reason why it should, but I'm not familiar with it and can't say whether it has any relevant idiosyncracies.

Good luck.

Boomer6345
May 11th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks Mike....

So it seems your concern is that my "new"16-bit card may not really have the full extra BIOS functions I need since it is a newer card and probably assumes the newer PCs it would be used in has BIOS to support HD floppies?

Hate to spend the extra cash...but how does this controller look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350559958145?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

-Ed

marcoguy
May 11th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Did you not see my other post? I have a Seagate floppy/SCSI controller. PM me if interested.

MikeS
May 11th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks Mike....

Hate to spend the extra cash...but how does this controller look:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350559958145?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

-EdAwfully expensive, but yeah, that's the ticket; I'd say $20-25 tops.

Why not wait for a better deal? Or maybe speculate on that first one linked above if you can get it cheap...

Chuck(G)
May 11th, 2012, 10:10 PM
That price is outrageous. I've got two of the DTK Mini-micros and I think I paid less than $10 apiece. But then, I bought them in 1993...

I'd go with the JDR one (MCT). The controller's there, it does high-density; the only real question is the suitability of the BIOS. I'd say it was worth a gamble. If you had to, you could populate the unpopulated positions.

I think the thing is probably based on an SMS reference design. I've got the old SMS ftp archived, so it's quite possible that I have some details...

But don't mind me--I obviously don't know a floppiy from a banana split...

twolazy
May 11th, 2012, 11:58 PM
You are aware there are floppy drives out there with onboard bios right? I happen to have a 1.44 in my xt, on the stock card... Might cost more then a replacement controller though.

Chuck(G)
May 12th, 2012, 12:26 AM
You are aware there are floppy drives out there with onboard bios right? I happen to have a 1.44 in my xt, on the stock card... Might cost more then a replacement controller though.

No, I didn't know that a disk drive could contain a BIOS. Auto-sense, yes (I've got a Toshiba drive like that that will switch between 360 and 300 RPM). But a BIOS? How does it talk to the CPU?

There were some late versions of the 5160 that had support for high-density drives (at about the same time that the XT/286 came out). Are you certain that you don't have one of those?

twolazy
May 12th, 2012, 02:07 AM
No, I didn't know that a disk drive could contain a BIOS. Auto-sense, yes (I've got a Toshiba drive like that that will switch between 360 and 300 RPM). But a BIOS? How does it talk to the CPU?

There were some late versions of the 5160 that had support for high-density drives (at about the same time that the XT/286 came out). Are you certain that you don't have one of those?

Guess I confused autosensing with an onboard bios. When I was purchased it (1996?) this is how it was explained to me, guess the tech was dumbing it down. Wouldnt the autosense be a basic bios for the drive itself though. :confused: Went and pulled the drive, its a Toshiba nd-356T-A.

Doh NM Just remembered, I have it set to forced 720k, not 1.44! *smacks forehead. I had 1.44 working with driver.sys I think but to get it working had to remap B to D? I think, ended up just saying screw it and forcing it to 720k only.

kb2syd
May 12th, 2012, 05:18 AM
If you look closely it appears that the parts that make it multi-mode are missing.

This is just the 2 drive version of the 4 drive card. I have one here. It works fine. The jumpers themselves are next to the FDC chip. The BIOS is below it. The top right is just silk screened template explaining the jumpers to the right of the FDC.

MikeS
May 12th, 2012, 05:35 AM
This is just the 2 drive version of the 4 drive card. I have one here. It works fine. The jumpers themselves are next to the FDC chip. The BIOS is below it. The top right is just silk screened template explaining the jumpers to the right of the FDC.Yeah, that's what Chuck and I suspected on closer examination; nice to have it confirmed.

Sounds like what the OP needs, if it doesn't get too expensive.

Boomer6345
May 12th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Yeah, that's what Chuck and I suspected on closer examination; nice to have it confirmed.

Sounds like what the OP needs, if it doesn't get too expensive.

Thanks everyone....I'll be going after that card just in case...if the price does not get too high. Might be grabbing that Seagte ST02 card from marcoguy too...I feel the need to stockpile a few parts that will keep my old PC running for another couple decades! A Zenith power supply is my biggest worry!

Chuck(G)
May 12th, 2012, 07:25 AM
One of those two Bay Area J-somethings had me review their floppy BIOS back in the day (Jameco, JDR?). I offered some suggestions, so the card may have my handiwork in it. I probably still have the source somewhere--it's been a long time.

For what it's worth, if you have a machine with DOS 3.1 and want to use 1.44M floppies, here's JDR's driver to do it.

Boomer6345
May 15th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Well....that first card I got from eBay is not working:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LGS-P2C94002-Prime-2C-MKIII-Multi-I-O-Controller-TESTED-/150795026571

For one, it does not seem to have it's own BIOS....which seems obvious now that I look at the card. So it never would have met my needs.

But I cannot get the Zenith PC to even try to read disks from any drive with that controller.

Also - even when I use the old built-in controller with a two different 5.25 inch drives and several different disks....as soon as the PC tries to boot or read the disk it gives me this error:

DISK ERROR - Invalid address mark detected

The BIOS throws this error very fast after reading any disk for just a second or two at most.

Does anyone have much experience with these old Zenith Z-15x PCs?

SpidersWeb
May 15th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Have you tested the drive and disk in another machine? What density/format is the disk and drive?

Boomer6345
May 15th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Finally got the old PC working...

Turned out both 360K floppy drives were bad. I got a replacement drive and repaired the other (small mechanical problem) and now it boots the old drives.

Played the old LodeRunner DOS game from 1984 or so....sweet!

Just need to get the new floppy controller so I can use 1.44 drives/floppies (cannot believe how hard it is to work with only 360K!!!)....and then get an XT-IDE controller so I can really load this PC up with old software....

Thanks for the help...I'm on my way to some retro fun!

mcsew2k
May 22nd, 2012, 07:27 PM
I have been trying to make a DTK PII-151B floppy controller work in my 5150 PC with a 1.2/1.44 TEAC combo drive, but no luck. I have the BIOS enabled and set to CC00 with no other disk controller in the system. I also set the MB switches to no drives.
Controller jumpers are set to:
JP1 1-2 Closed (also tried 2-3 Closed);
JP2 1-2 Closed (also tried 2-3 Closed);
JP3 Closed-Open-Open-Open;
JP4 Open-Closed-Open-Closed;
JP5 Closed
Should I expect this to boot from either the 1.2 or 1.44 floppies using the controller's BIOS? It won't even try; goes straight to BASIC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chuck(G)
May 22nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Is that the DTK Mini-micro? I've got one in my XT clone and can compare settings.

SpidersWeb
May 22nd, 2012, 09:33 PM
What's the date on your 5150?

Looked up your jumpers, and you're setup for a single 1.44 drive by the sounds of it but everything looks correct.

mcsew2k
May 22nd, 2012, 10:15 PM
Yes, it is the Mini-micro-2 Dual drive. My 5150 is a "B" (64K - 256K system board) model, so I am sure it is a later version system. I found a webpage that at first was confusing, but seems to have the jumper table diagram formatted incorrectly. My first hunch when looking at the card seems correct; that you can set the first and second drives to different drive types by pairing the JP3 A-B jumpers for the first drive and the JP3 C-D jumpers for the second drive following the scheme printed on the card. I think I have it set for first drive = 1.2MB and second drive = 1.44MB. The TEAC combo drive has a single connector and is setup from the factory with the 1.2MB as the first drive and the 1.44MB as the second drive when it is connected after the twist; opposite when connected before the twist. I have removed the IBM memory expansion and set the onboard switches to just 64KB and it now displays a banner that says "1.4M DRIVER CARD INSTALL / DTK Corp. Ver. 1.06B". The 1.2 MB drive spins but still will not boot. I am using a DOS 5.0 1.2 MB boot disk and the drive and disk boots fine when I connect it to my Pentium system. Also, when I set the memory on the PC any higher than 64KB, then it goes back to doing nothing. The only cards I now have in the PC is the subject FDD card and the IBM CGA card.

I will have to look at this again later with a fresh mind.

modem7
May 23rd, 2012, 01:30 AM
I have removed the IBM memory expansion and set the onboard switches to just 64KB and it now displays a banner that says "1.4M DRIVER CARD INSTALL / DTK Corp. Ver. 1.06B". The 1.2 MB drive spins but still will not boot. I am using a DOS 5.0 1.2 MB boot disk and the drive and disk boots fine when I connect it to my Pentium system. Also, when I set the memory on the PC any higher than 64KB, then it goes back to doing nothing. The only cards I now have in the PC is the subject FDD card and the IBM CGA card.
I and others have had problems getting a 64K-256K 5150 motherboard (will contain the 10/27/82 BIOS) to work properly with less than 4 banks of RAM selected.
I have started to document the issue at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5150/misc/5150_27OCT82_less_than_4_ram_banks.htm

So, even though you only see a banner when only the first RAM bank is enabled (which is odd), the subsequent failure to boot with only one RAM bank enabled could be due to insufficient RAM.

Chuck(G)
May 23rd, 2012, 09:05 AM
Just pulled my DTK controller out of my XT clone (which also has an XTIDE controller in it). I've got the system set up for a 1.44M A: drive and a 360K B: drive.

Jumpers are set as follows:

JP1: 1-2
JP2: 1-2
JP3-1: off
JP3-2: off
JP3-3: on
JP3-4: on
JP4-1: on
JP4-2: off
JP4-3: on
JP4-4: off
JP5: on

mcsew2k
May 23rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
Thank you Chuck, its working! I discovered that I still need to set the motherboard switches for the number of drives along with there being some conflict with the BIOS addresses I had tried before. Your BIOS address setting worked! I was hoping to keep a 360K drive and the stock controller along with the TEAC combo drive and the DTK controller, but the cards don't like each other at all; probably using the same port address. Thanks again for everyone's help.

David

PS I am actually going to use this in my XT because I want to keep my 5150 all OEM IBM.

acadiel
July 21st, 2017, 09:48 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

I'm over here experimenting with an old Tandy 1000WS (http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?58702-Tandy-1000-WS), and notice it's missing the floppy disk support logic chip as well as the actual floppy controller on the motherboard (not to mention the actual header).

So, I procured an Exabyte 306076-001 ISA Floppy Controller from eBay and tried to boot off of it. Nada. Light comes on the floppy, but it doesn't step or anything.

I'm guessing the Exabyte probably doesn't have a ROM hook for the BIOS, and due to the fact that the logic circuitry is missing on this Tandy's motherboard, that's why it's not working.

Anyone recommend a cheap controller that will work with 8 bit mode that I can try booting this system from floppy with?

thanks!

Chuck(G)
July 21st, 2017, 10:21 AM
Exabyte and "floppy controller" doesn't coordinate. What you probably have is a high-speed tape controller that uses a floppy controller chip. If it's like the one i have in my hellbox, it uses a 48MHz crystal and has an upper data transfer rate of 2Mbps. Since these don't usually bring out all of the traditional floppy control lines to the connector (only the ones that the tape drive uses), they can't be used for floppies, even assuming that your system had BIOS support for it (which it doesn't).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

acadiel
July 21st, 2017, 11:07 AM
Exabyte and "floppy controller" doesn't coordinate. What you probably have is a high-speed tape controller that uses a floppy controller chip. If it's like the one i have in my hellbox, it uses a 48MHz crystal and has an upper data transfer rate of 2Mbps. Since these don't usually bring out all of the traditional floppy control lines to the connector (only the ones that the tape drive uses), they can't be used for floppies, even assuming that your system had BIOS support for it (which it doesn't).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

That's OK. I figured I would probably need to get a new one anyway. Have any good recommendations for something 8-bit that will work where I can disable any serial/parallel and just use the floppy part?

Would this one work? http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOCA-IDE-16-BIT-ISA-HARD-DRIVE-FLOPPY-DRIVE-CONTROLLER-IDE002-/172720820864?hash=item2836f69280:g:iPMAAOSwvflZOYp a

Chuck(G)
July 21st, 2017, 12:27 PM
Really, what you want for your 1000 is an FDC with its own BIOS, since you'll probably want to handle more than 360K floppies. I like the DTK "Mini-micro" cards a lot, but there are many others. Micro Solutions Compaticard IV; Sysgen Omnibridge; a whole bunch of no-name Taiwanese cards...

acadiel
August 15th, 2017, 03:03 PM
Really, what you want for your 1000 is an FDC with its own BIOS, since you'll probably want to handle more than 360K floppies. I like the DTK "Mini-micro" cards a lot, but there are many others. Micro Solutions Compaticard IV; Sysgen Omnibridge; a whole bunch of no-name Taiwanese cards...

I tried searching for some of those on eBay. the Compaticard that's on there is like crazy expensive. Here's some that I saw - let me know what you think:

IBM 1503968 Floppy Controller Card 8-Bit ISA
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-1503968-Floppy-Controller-Card-8-Bit-ISA-for-5150-5160-XT-TESTED-/263137534047?hash=item3d4438205f:g:bMUAAOSwmCVY-NqQ
(there's a few of these on there)

Sigma 8 card
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-8-bit-isa-floppy-disk-controller-card-xt-/132290410199?hash=item1ecd1f76d7:g:FOsAAOSwtnpXl9d X

Generic controller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vintage-8-Bit-ISA-Floppy-Controller-Multi-I-O-Serial-Parallel-Game-Clock-XT-/152651781269?hash=item238ac15495:g:inAAAOSw5cNYdWE w

Thanks!

Chuckster_in_Jax
August 15th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Don't forget the XT-FDC floppy boards!

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?32476-XT-FDC-Rev1

lutiana
August 15th, 2017, 03:56 PM
I tried searching for some of those on eBay. the Compaticard that's on there is like crazy expensive. Here's some that I saw - let me know what you think:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-IBM-1503968-Floppy-Controller-Card-8-Bit-ISA-for-5150-5160-XT-TESTED-/263137534047?hash=item3d4438205f:g:bMUAAOSwmCVY-NqQ

Sigma 8 card
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-8-bit-isa-floppy-disk-controller-card-xt-/132290410199?hash=item1ecd1f76d7:g:FOsAAOSwtnpXl9d X

Generic controller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Vintage-8-Bit-ISA-Floppy-Controller-Multi-I-O-Serial-Parallel-Game-Clock-XT-/152651781269?hash=item238ac15495:g:inAAAOSw5cNYdWE w

Thanks!

I am not too sure the first 2 will do HD floppy drives, there does not appear to be a BIOS on them. The last one does appear to have a BIOS chip on it, so it may very well do HD Floppies.

SomeGuy
August 15th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Magitronic b215 8-bit HD floppy controller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magitronic-B215-Multi-Floppy-Disk-Controller-Card-/382192346422?hash=item58fc706536:g:8GIAAOSwyNNZjcN 9#ht_241wt_0

I have one of these. From the manual: "B215 IS A INTELLIGMENT FLOPPY DISK CONTROLLER WHICH IS DESIGNED AS PER THE NEW SPECIFICATIONS OF DISK DRIVERS OF PC/XT TM, PC/ATTM , PC/ATTM -386" :p

Curious about that sigma 8 controller. Perhaps for use with 8" drives, but probably needs a special driver or OEM DOS.

jltursan
August 15th, 2017, 10:48 PM
Don't forget the XT-FDC floppy boards!

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?32476-XT-FDC-Rev1

That XT-FDC board looks a very interesting project; but seems stalled. I'm not able to find any more infos about it apart from some prototype boards, is it still alive?

Chuck(G)
August 16th, 2017, 12:40 AM
Curious about that sigma 8 controller. Perhaps for use with 8" drives, but probably needs a special driver or OEM DOS.

That 50 pin connector certainly screams 8" drive and the ad copy says that it can do high-density. Since this thing i(1984) is probably just before the 5170 and there's no BIOS, it almost certainly requires its own support software to work. My suspicion is that it'll be a lot like the Compaticard I/II--utterly non-standard way of switching data rates.

keenerb
August 16th, 2017, 05:33 AM

Sigma 8 card

Generic controller

Thanks!

If you're a do-it-yourself kind of guy, Sergey Kiselev has a really good floppy design you can assemble. It's all through-hole soldering, has an open-source bios, and works like a charm on my Tandy 1000TL.

http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/isa-fdc-and-uart

acadiel
August 17th, 2017, 06:31 AM
If you're a do-it-yourself kind of guy, Sergey Kiselev has a really good floppy design you can assemble. It's all through-hole soldering, has an open-source bios, and works like a charm on my Tandy 1000TL.

http://www.malinov.com/Home/sergeys-projects/isa-fdc-and-uart

Now, that looks intriguing. I sent him a note asking him if I could purchase a bare board.

It's also cool that he has all the Mouser part numbers by the components.

keenerb
August 17th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Now, that looks intriguing. I sent him a note asking him if I could purchase a bare board.

It's also cool that he has all the Mouser part numbers by the components.

I've assembled one, and it works really well. I've got a custom BIOS that allows it to disable on-board floppy controller of tandy 1000TL/SL machines, provides bootable 1.44/2.88mb floppy support on those machines.

acadiel
September 9th, 2017, 10:40 AM
I built one of these; now, where do I get the Tandy specific Bios? :-)

Thanks!