PDA

View Full Version : Seagate ST-225 MFM HDD died

marcoguy
May 11th, 2012, 04:38 PM
So... I was cleaning the dust out of the space between the HDD board and the rest of the HDD. I guess I had a stupid moment. When putting the board back on, I put the 16 pin connector next to the LED back on at one pin off, so there was one row of pins exposed. It looked like this:
8900 8901 8902
After plugging it in and starting my XT up, the HDD spun up but after about 15 seconds, it died. I took it out and immediately smelled burning plastic. Then, I noticed the misaligned pins.:mad: I got sooooo mad at myself. I fixed the connection and tryed to power up the drive. The system halted and the PSU fan stopped almost instantly. :cursemad: Does anybody know what the problem is, how to fix it, or have a dead ST-225 that I can use the board from?

marcoguy
May 11th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I just bought a replacement. Oh well. I wasn't really up to fixing it anyway.

Le_Bear
May 11th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Man that's a shame about your drive. I've done similar a number of times, reaching inside a computer to hook up an IDE or floppy cable and get the pins misaligned someway, I don't think I've ever gone far enough to kill one that way before. I did kill a 1.4 floppy by someway getting the 4 pin power connector one pin over though

mikey99
May 11th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Keep the drive...... because you might find one that has bad platters.... and you
can steal the circuit board from it !

After connecting the cable correctly, if the system won't power on you must have
a shorted component on the drive. Try using an ohmmeter and checking the resistance
between the +5/+12 pins and ground.

marcoguy
May 11th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah... I looked up the problem and realized that pretty much the whole drive was shorted out and it would take about $30 to fix it. I took it apart and put stuff on it as it spun.:jumping4: It was probably a huge waste, but I already bought a working one and am not one to keep junk.

modem7
May 11th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Some friendlyhttp://www.minuszerodegrees.net/images2/man-sarcasm-sign-150.jpg

When you upload photos, make sure you untick the option box that is labelled 'Make photos as fuzzy as possible'.

marcoguy
May 11th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Sorry. The zoom on my Ipod is CRAP.

marcoguy
May 11th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Well, I thought I would post this because it just astonished me. As it turned out, I arced electricity through that wiring harness, out the heads and I had myself a makeshift mini Tesla coil going! Then, when I put glue on the dead drive, it turned LIME GREEN! This is a very strange night for me.

modem7
May 11th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Sorry. The zoom on my Ipod is CRAP.
I know. Take some comfort in knowing that the iPad is not the only device out there using Nikon's CRAP zoom technology. Apparently, Nikon have admitted to the flaws in CRAP, have got their shit together, and will shortly release CRAP2.

marcoguy
May 11th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Well, I certainly hope the CRAP2 is an improvement!;)