PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5150 software options

SpidersWeb
May 12th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Finding interesting programs to run on a PC/XT isn't too hard, however most libraries don't post up the memory requirements or display requirements.

So for those of us with 256Kb RAM, twin floppies and an original IBM MDA - what is there that isn't painful to use?

Interested in good alternatives to WordStar (which I have but am not fond of to be honest), maybe a spreedsheet program, and a few games.
Most of the software I'm familiar with seems to be 1987-1993 so I don't even know where to start :/

Opinions and suggestions welcome.

Stone
May 13th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I tried my two favorite programs, one word processor and one spreadsheet, on my 256K XT today but, alas, neither would run. They cried out for 320K. Sorry for the not-so-helpful news.

ChrisCwmbran
May 13th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I tried my two favorite programs, one word processor and one spreadsheet, on my 256K XT today but, alas, neither would run. They cried out for 320K. Sorry for the not-so-helpful news.

I do hope it was Wordstar 3.3 and Calcstar! Everyone should love those two!!!

Stone
May 13th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Nope I don't care for Wordstar one bit! I like Professional Write. Fits on two 360K floppies although you only need one if you don't want to use the dictionary and it's simple yet complete.

SpidersWeb
May 13th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I've been recommended IBM DisplayWrite as an application likely to be bundled with the machine. Also remembered IBM Writing Assistant and PrintMaster.
Remembered my XT came with Easy - a word processor I didn't find tricky to use, might see if that runs.
One person suggested with that much memory I should just whip out the cassette deck :P

Did create an image of the original PC-DOS 1.1 (with BASIC samples) disk, which was fun, but most the samples require CGA (damn it!).

bettablue
May 24th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Another program that seems to be overlooked, probably because of compatibiility issues is Micrsofts Works. On one 360K floppy, you get a word processor, spreadsheet and communications programming. I don't use it often, but for some quick stuff, Works does seem to do the job. The problem here though is that I don't know how much memory it requires. The program does fit on a single floppy disk though. Sorry, I'm not near my PC right now and won't be for a while... Please see my post under General Off Topic.