PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Mac OS boot disk without another mac?

PgrAm
May 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM
So I just bought a Mac SE FDHD for $35 with a copy of adobe illustrator. But here is the problem, the guy who sold me the machine did not have an operating system disk. until I get a disk it will just give me the ? floppy icon and spit out any other disks. The guy emailed me a copy of OS 6 but he said he didn't know how to get it onto a floppy. I have no other macs, I'm really a PC guy so I cant make a disk that way. So how would I go about creating a disk? My first thought was I might be able to emulate a SCSI drive using my PC, is this possible?

also what do you guys think is the best OS version for my mac SE FDHD?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

bibilit
May 19th, 2012, 11:55 AM
If you are a PC guy, so this is a first step:

http://www.macgeek.org/downloads/index.html

Will format and create a system disk easily, but you should have a floppy drive available on the PC side !!

SSW 6.08 is fine, 7.1 is a maximum.

twolazy
May 19th, 2012, 05:58 PM
You sure 7.1 is max, i could have sworn max was 7.5.5. *scratches head

If you want a copy of 7.1 I do have that provided you have a 1.44 drive. I can upload them into .dsk format if needed, so you can use winimage or whatever to create the diskettes.

PgrAm
May 19th, 2012, 08:14 PM
You sure 7.1 is max, i could have sworn max was 7.5.5. *scratches head

If you want a copy of 7.1 I do have that provided you have a 1.44 drive. I can upload them into .dsk format if needed, so you can use winimage or whatever to create the diskettes.

Oh I have plenty of 1.44mb drives. I keep around some older Pentium machines for this very reason, just send those .DSKs along.

Thanks a ton.

bibilit
May 20th, 2012, 03:00 AM
7.5.5 is supported but the poor SE will be very slow :p

twolazy
May 20th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Here ya go, figure others here might want them too

http://www.filedropper.com/macsystem701

hitachi
May 21st, 2012, 02:38 PM
anyone willing to make a boot disk for an 800k drive? I have a dual floppy SE and they're both stock. I have read online that only a person with another mac can do it, and the only apple products I have are a //e and an SE... neither of which can make it themselves, unless I am unaware of another way around it.

Thanks in advance
Adam