PDA

View Full Version : Dead Amstrad PC1640 ECD monitor

paul.brett
May 20th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I noticed during some testing that one of the two Amstrad PC1640 machines I have would not display a picture on the ECD monitor it came with. A quick bit of swaping around, and I concluded that the monitor itself had gone tits-up.

As you may or may not know, the Amstrad PC1xxx range was peculiar in that the power is supplied to the monitor, and then onto the PC base unit via a proprietry lead. So, with the monitor plugged in, the PC will not operate.

I got my Dad (who's a whiz with a multimeter and solder iron) to test the voltages, and whip-up a replacement. The fruits of his labour can be seen here:

A previously discarded (I thought it was broken) ISA 16bit VGA card (setup for 8bit operation) in one of the expansion slots makes the Amstrad once again ready for vintage fun. I had to move Dip Switch 1-10 to the down position, to disable the onboard graphics.

pearce_jj
May 20th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Good job!

Malc
May 20th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Nice work, I have an amstrad 1640 base unit in original box with KB / Mouse / Disc's etc but no Monitor, It's literally like new condition, I keep on meaning to dig it out and adapt a PSU to see if it works, One day :-)