PDA

View Full Version : Making useful things with an 8088

Nafartarra
May 24th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I'm restoring a 8088 PC.

It is a DTK 8 MHz board with 640 K Ram, to which I have made some upgrades those days:
A 8 bit Trident VGA Card
A AT controller card for floppy, RS232 and LPT
Trantor T130b SCSI controller with 2 GB Seagate drive, No BIOS at the moment, booting from FD, I have no EPROM burner.
SMC-WD 8003 Network card.
Brother M-1509 Dot Matrix printer
2 1.44 FD

Last nigth I sucesfully managet to get working the Network card, after some failed attempts with an EtherLink III, I was very interesting making telnet to my computer :D :D

I have more old stuff to attach to it, but I don't know what I'll do actually.

My primary goal is to make machine useful, so I can put it in my room to do something interesting.
This afternoon I have programmed a RSS reader that prints to the printer (is this grammatically correct????), so I can at least say: "Hey my old 8088 can give me BBC World news!"

Are there some other interesting things to do with the 8088, apart from playing games :D

Nice to meet you!!!!!

barythrin
May 24th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Very nice! You could load an irc client and chat with folks on the #vc (vintage computing) chat room on irc.slashnet.org. There are a few members here that hang out there. I think this forum used to do rss didn't it? Perhaps write a program to print out the daily weather forecast or just read weather alerts for your area and print that out. You could find some .x10 gear and play with powering on and off devices in your house/room.

pearce_jj
May 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Welcome :)

Sounds like you're struggling for a BIOS chip for that SCSI controller - my simple ROM board kit (http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?30390-Universal-8-bit-ISA-ROM-Boards) might help!

Nafartarra
May 25th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Weather forecasts are also a good option. When I finish my RSS reader/printer, I have some small things to correct, I'll post it if someone want to use use.
I'll try to post some photos tomorrow.

Pearce, I sent you a PM.

Good Nigth!!