PDA

View Full Version : IDE dos CDROM driver for IBM AT

prime
May 25th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know of an IDE CDROM driver that will run ona a 286 based machine (in this case a 6MHz IBM AT) ?

I'm using the AMI AT replacement bios and the XT-IDE IDE biops if that is important.

All the ones I have tried so far just seem to hang, I guess because they are using 386+ instructions.

Cheers.

Phill.

cchaven
May 25th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Maybe some others were made, but all of the DOS CD-ROM drivers I've seen work on 286 based machines were for the Sony proprietary interfaces. We used them with Sony external drives on Zenith Z-248's in the 1991 timeframe for MSDS database distributions.

Jeff

krebizfan
May 25th, 2012, 08:35 PM
We had a discussion here about 2 years ago with examples of MSCDEX working with a 286 based system. http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?19478-CD-ROM-on-a-286

Which drivers and OS did you try? Though the last I read, XTIDE hadn't gotten ATAPI support yet so it might not work on that end.

prime
May 26th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Cheers for the help, the uniide.zip from the linked thread worked and I was able to install from CD, much quicker than from a pile of floppies :)

It also worked fine with the XT-IDE bios, but was using a standard multi-io card with IDE, floppy etc.

Cheers.

Phill.