PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5170 with Transformer passive backplane

cchaven
May 28th, 2012, 03:45 PM
A few years ago my dad came out to visit and brought out a complete 5150 (with 5151 monitor and keyboard) and what looked like a IBM 5170 PC-AT. The 5170 I stashed away, as you could see that it had been modded since it had a 3-1/2" floppy and a CD-ROM. Tonight I decided to pull it out and open it up..see just what had been done to it. What I found was an Alpha Systems Lab passive ISA backplane with one of their 80386DX-33 single board computers in one of the slots. There's at least 8MB of RAM in the 30pin SIMM slots, as well as serial/parallel/IDE/floppy connections, plus it has a Cyrix math coprpcessor. I've only seen one of these boards once before, used to upgrade a Zenith Z-248 at work. It's an interesting setup though..does anyone have experience with the ASL Transformer backplanes and CPU boards?

Here's a flyer for it I found on the web:
http://www.thecomputerarchive.com/archive/Computer%20Components%20and%20Accessories/Motherboards/Alpha%20Systems%20Lab%20Motherboard%20Upgrade.PDF

The system has a Maxtor IDE running off of the ASL CPU board, a SCSI CD-ROM running off of a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 sound card, a Trident VGA baord, and an ISA modem. All parts from the early 90s except for the case.

Jeff

joekster
May 28th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I've used them many, many years ago. It's basically a whole computer on a board (SBC). The same effect as replacing the motherboard...

I still have the 486DX upgrade module in case anyone is interested.