PDA

View Full Version : IBM 5150 PC and Hardware IRQ settings

bettablue
May 28th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Here's the basic setup. :taz:

IBM 5150 PC

Mobo 3rd BIOS revision with 256 KB memory installed
FDD controller running 2 5.25" 360 Kb DSDD floppy disk drives
CGA video controller with parallel interface instead of the composite out put found on most.
AST Six-Pack Plus upgrade card with 384 Kb Memory upgrade, parallel port, asyncronous communications port, and game ports, clock and calendar functionality
IBM 5161 extender card

IBM 5161 PC expansion unit

1 WD HDD controller card working with 1 - full height Miniscribe 10 Meg hard disk drive and 1 - Full height Control Data 30 Meg Hard disk drive
Intel 8/16 LAN adapter
3Com 9600 baud modem
dual 9 pin serial port card
IBM 5161 receiver card.

This is the basic hardware setup as it stands right now. I am having some problems with adding the LAN adapter, modem and the dual 9 pin serial card. I know the serial card has to have IRQ's set up for it, but I am at a loss when it comes to setting IRQs for most of the hardware in these computers. To be honest, I don't know if I need IRQs for the modem and LAN adapter or not. :dunce:

My best friend, Edward Hall has graciously offered to take ofer the final assembly of my entire system becaus of my recent heath issues, and I no longer have the computer in my home. He has the computer system set up in his dining room where he can work on it and I won't be in his way. Ed and I were under the initial assumption that each piece of hardware had to have it's very own IRQ and that there was a very limitted number OF IRQs avaiable. Then I read in the forums somewhere that many of the IRQs are actually shared, making hardware installation a bit easier (Or more difficult, depending on how you lok at it). I don't blame Ed for getting a bit lost during the final stages of assembling my PC. After all, it has been almost 30 years since he's had the pleasure of working on XT computers. I really would like to get him some reference on how IRQs work in the IBM 5150 series of computers. And if someone can assist him with the final configurationa that will be fantastic!

Please PM me with your email address and I'll get my friend to contact you and also make arrangements to speak with you over the phone. That way between the two of you, you can complete the setup a lot more quickly than we're going right now; which is really a snails pace. :phone:

Please help. This is the absulute final stage for the hardware installation, and once that's done I can move onto other things, like getting to actually play some of my 6500 or so games... as well as using my old girl to help with my checkbooking and bookkeeping operations, etc.

As always, thanks for reading, and many thanks for your assistance. :computer:

Chuck(G)
May 28th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Okay, here's your list:
Mobo 3rd BIOS revision with 256 KB memory installed - IRQ 0 and 1
FDD controller running 2 5.25" 360 Kb DSDD floppy disk drives - IRQ 6
CGA video controller with parallel interface. Best used with IRQ7, because of various link-up software, parallel-port I/O adapters, print spoolers, etc.
AST Six-Pack Plus upgrade card with 384 Kb Memory upgrade, parallel port, asyncronous communications port, and game ports, clock and calendar functionality - IRQ 4 for serial
IBM 5161 extender card - n/a
IBM 5161 PC expansion unit n/a
1 WD HDD controller card - IRQ 5; depending on BIOS, it might be possible to get away without an IRQ.
Intel 8/16 LAN adapter - IRQ 2 should be okay
3Com 9600 baud modem - IRQ 3, probably
dual 9 pin serial port card - if you're using software that can share interrupts, IRQ 4 and 3.
IBM 5161 receiver card. - n/a

You've pretty much used them all up. The second set of comm ports can use IRQ 4 and 3, if the software you're using knows enough to share them with the first serial port and modem.