PDA

View Full Version : MFM drive parking, 2764 EPROM and DOS version

Nafartarra
May 30th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I have managed to make work a 20MB MFM HD.
Sould I park the heads? If this is correct, How can I do that?

I also need to write a 2764 EPROM, is there any EEPROM version?

And finally, I'm using DR-DOS on my 8088, MS-DOS versions are better or It is fine now?

Thanks to everyone.

krebizfan
May 30th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I have managed to make work a 20MB MFM HD.
Sould I park the heads? If this is correct, How can I do that?

I also need to write a 2764 EPROM, is there any EEPROM version?

And finally, I'm using DR-DOS on my 8088, MS-DOS versions are better or It is fine now?

Thanks to everyone.

Yes, park the heads if the heads don't autopark. It will prevent you from ruining the hard drive if you move the computer while it is not powered. Check hard drive model; even some later production 20MB MFM drives had the ability to autopark. Utility: well, one should have come with the drive back when the drive was manufactured but there were many, many different head parking utilities that could be downloaded. You will need to know what your drives landing zone is to make sure that park utility you pick will work correctly.

DR-DOS: which version? Except for a few programs that look for MS-DOS specific data structures, just about everything that can run on MS-DOS will run on DR-DOS. Unless you have programs that don't work right, don't worry about it.

Chuck(G)
May 30th, 2012, 12:50 PM
DR-DOS versions earlier than about 6.0 tend to have small incompatibilities with MS-DOS versions (e.g. installing Windows 3.0). Later than that, the two are very close, close enough not to matter, usually.

A 28C64 will usually work in a 2764 socket. At least that's what I've been using with no issues.

Nafartarra
May 30th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I'm using DR-DOS 6.0, I installed it 'cause my MS-DOS 6.22 were ruined.
The drive is a miniscribe, I'll try to find a specific utility.

thanks to both!

DOS lives on!!
May 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Try this generic utility to park your hard drive. And if anyone finds a specific Miniscribe utility, upload that too.

MikeS
May 30th, 2012, 02:00 PM
The drive is a miniscribe,.. A model number would help...