PDA

View Full Version : Sonnet Presto accelerator

thatsteve
June 4th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Hello. I've acquired this CPU upgrade board and am trying to install it in my LCIII+ but am having trouble.

It came with no install software but I managed to get what I think I need from Sonnet. They sent me a few disk images from which I pulled the Presto extension and the System 7 enabler (I'm running 7.6.1). I put the extension in the extensions folder and the enabler in the System folder.

When I put the board in and turn on I get the chime but nothing else, will not boot. When I remove the card and reboot the Presto extension has a red cross through it as it loads on the Welcome screen.

Where am I going wrong guys?

Does anyone have the original install disk with the auto installer on it?

S

jrehmer
June 5th, 2012, 12:52 AM
I have a Presto Plus and had to ensure that 24-bit addressing was turned off, not sure that would apply to the original Presto or not but it would be worth a shot if you have it turned on. The red X through it means the card was not detected.

thatsteve
June 5th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I have a Presto Plus and had to ensure that 24-bit addressing was turned off, not sure that would apply to the original Presto or not but it would be worth a shot if you have it turned on. The red X through it means the card was not detected.

In the memory control panel, there is no option for 24/32 bit addressing, so I assumed the LCIII+ was already 32 bit. Hmmm, is this something I should investigate?

S

njroadfan
June 5th, 2012, 04:01 AM
System 7.6 removed the option to turn off 32-bit addressing. If the Sonnet card requires 24-bit addressing, you have to downgrade to System 7.5.5, which is available free on Apple's site.

thatsteve
June 5th, 2012, 04:41 AM
System 7.6 removed the option to turn off 32-bit addressing. If the Sonnet card requires 24-bit addressing, you have to downgrade to System 7.5.5, which is available free on Apple's site.

The Presto needs 32 bit addressing. So, if 7.6.1 doesn't do 24 bit addressing then, that rules out the whole addressing issue. It should work.

But why doesn't it! I've pulled the VRAM (no change, still won't boot past chime) and then pulled the 32MB stick of RAM, which actually allowed it to get to the Happy Mac, but no further. I have an FPU installed on the motherboard, could that be conflicting? I dont have an extraction tool so not easy to just pop it off and find out...

S