PDA

View Full Version : Apple Extended Keyboard II

Shadow Lord
June 6th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Hello All,

I am new to the world of older mac systems having rescued my first Powermac 9600 from the curb last week. Along with the machine came an apple Extended Keyboard II. I researched the keyboard and it is supposed to be an old style clicky/clacky Alps mechanism keyboard. However, when I type on the keyboard it feels very mushy. No good click/clack sounds. Its nothing like my Omnikey or my IBM Model F/Ms. All the keys work and the the caps lock key does physically lock down but the feel is just horrible. Is this normal for this keyboard? Or could it be that it is just dirty and needs cleaning? Thanks for any advice!

dorkbert
June 6th, 2012, 08:46 AM
"yes"

Shadow Lord
June 6th, 2012, 08:57 AM
"yes"

Well, that's discouraging :p. Thanks for the quick response. Was the original Extended Keyboard any better?

dorkbert
June 6th, 2012, 09:24 AM
To be honest, as far as I can recall, they're not that different, and both are nowhere near omnikey or IBMer keyboards.
Perhaps you are thinking of an aftermarket ADB keyboard? I think keytronics had keyboards for both the Mac+ and ADB.

Anonymous Freak
June 6th, 2012, 10:01 AM
The original Extended Keyboard is better. It's equivalent to my PS/2 Model M.

RWallmow
June 6th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Well, this is a powemac 9600, so its a PCI Mac, add a PCI USB card, and one of many USB "Clicky" keyboards, including a Model M on a USB adapter ;-)

Or there are the somewhat rare Belkin PS2>ADB converters to run a PS2 keyboard.

Old Thrashbarg
June 6th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Some people like the original AEK better than the II, but the II is still a good keyboard, pretty much equivalent to the Dell AT101W. I use an AEK II as my main keyboard, through a Griffin ADB->USB converter.

It doesn't have pronounced 'click' sounds, but it should not feel mushy... it definitely sounds like you need to clean, and maybe lubricate, the switches.

Shadow Lord
June 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Well, this is a powemac 9600, so its a PCI Mac, add a PCI USB card, and one of many USB "Clicky" keyboards, including a Model M on a USB adapter ;-)

Or there are the somewhat rare Belkin PS2>ADB converters to run a PS2 keyboard.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am not looking for a clicky keyboard on the mac per se. I just wanted to make sure this keyboard was behaving as it should. I asked my better half (who has extensive experience with the of macs of this era) and she says it is behaving just as she remembers it. She describes the PC keyboard's keys as springing back up too quickly whereas her mac keyboards always seem to have had a sticky feeling.

The keyboard is in need of a good clean (I did find it on a curb after all) so maybe it will behave a bit better as Old Thrashbarg suggested after wards.

RWallmow
June 6th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am not looking for a clicky keyboard on the mac per se. I just wanted to make sure this keyboard was behaving as it should....
Ah, gotcha! In that case more or less :thumbsup: its not my favorite keyboard either.