PDA

View Full Version : Another round of "What is it"

k2x4b524[
June 8th, 2012, 09:36 PM
First up - Quadram Quadlink. it's got what appears to be 2 monitor outs, and a composit, and a 6502 processor on it, what looks liks a pc-speaker pass through and what appears to be a floppy pass through. It's also got 64kb ram on it. This actually be apple related?

Next - 2 boards that say proteon on them, one has a db-15, looks like a network card, and the other is full length board, looks like a video card, has to rom chips on it, even and off, what's left of the labels on the bios say TI/IBM, there are 3 TMS chips on it, one is a TMS 38030GBLm and it's got 3 hyunday style ram chips on it, they are marked HY6264P-12. Is this some kind of obscure video board?

Third - looks like an EGA board, but only has 16kb on the main board, the other 48 is on a daughter board. It's slathered in IBM marked chips. the main card has 627813XM, it's bios has P/N 6277354 on it. The daughterboard has the number 1501530XM stamped on it, and on the back side it says ASYMETRIX, XX11282 on it. IBM Branded EGA card?

Fourth - Universal Research Multidisplay adapter, is this self explanatory? it's a full length board *with black mount plate* and it's got a full length daughterboard attached, the daughteboard has a parallel printer attached. This an early dual-head MDA adapter? there is a switch block on the daughter board, and a 16 pin plug with 8 pin dip shunt, one side of the plug says pc and the other says XT.

Fifth - This is alot more recent, but for intents and purposes, i'm throwing it in here. IT's an AGP video card with a daughter board that takes it's own PCI slot. It's made by hp and appears to have at least 256mb ram on it. there is a big-a55 heatsink on it. and a third, longish connector on the bottom. I know it's a video card, but what could it's purpose be? Gaming or Business stuff? The lower plug has a wrap plug in it.

Stay tuned for round 3 as i find more boards.

vwestlife
June 9th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Fifth - This is alot more recent, but for intents and purposes, i'm throwing it in here. IT's an AGP video card with a daughter board that takes it's own PCI slot. It's made by hp and appears to have at least 256mb ram on it. there is a big-a55 heatsink on it. and a third, longish connector on the bottom. I know it's a video card, but what could it's purpose be? Gaming or Business stuff? The lower plug has a wrap plug in it.

Could be either a video capture/TV tuner board, or an external MPEG2 video/audio decoder board (to play DVDs before computers were powerful enough to do it via software). Those are the two applications I've seen where an AGP video card has a PCI card tethered to it.

Chuck(G)
June 9th, 2012, 08:28 AM
The Quadlink is a circa-1983 Apple II/II+ emulator board. There's software that goes with it--good luck in finding same.

The TI/IBM board appears to be a Token Ring interface board.

k2x4b524[
June 9th, 2012, 04:11 PM
It's only got your standard video out, plus some kind of s-video out with 7 pins

Could be either a video capture/TV tuner board, or an external MPEG2 video/audio decoder board (to play DVDs before computers were powerful enough to do it via software). Those are the two applications I've seen where an AGP video card has a PCI card tethered to it.

k2x4b524[
June 9th, 2012, 04:29 PM
The Quadlink is a circa-1983 Apple II/II+ emulator board. There's software that goes with it--good luck in finding same.

Heh, that's my new goal, finding the quadlink software. I'm assuming that the quadlink is quite a find. If i can find the software for it, and maybe a pdf of the manual or something i could use it.
*Found the manual. Seems rather easy to use*

The TI/IBM board, and it's mate, the other proteon, if they are token ring, those are rather useless to me. Meaning i got about 4 more rom chips to blank and some more ram chips for the pile.

Shadow Lord
June 9th, 2012, 06:04 PM

The Quadlink SW is available online. One just sold on eBay for about $40. It is an Apple II emulator like Chuck said but it is not as good as the Trackstar boards as it fails w/ most copy protected apple SW.

The EGA card is an IBM EGA card w/ the daughter board for 256KB memory. Somewhat rare because of the memory daughter board.

k2x4b524[
June 9th, 2012, 11:34 PM
So the ega board is worth holding on to, i've already got the manual for the quadlink, i'd like to find the software, via disk images if i can, just to see if it works.

Shadow Lord
June 10th, 2012, 12:03 AM
So the ega board is worth holding on to, i've already got the manual for the quadlink, i'd like to find the software, via disk images if i can, just to see if it works.

Here you go (ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/hardware/processor/).

k2x4b524[
June 10th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Here you go (ftp://public.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/hardware/processor/).

Thank you very, very much.

RWallmow
June 13th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Nice find on that Apple emulator card, you better give someone here first shot if you ever let it go ;-)

k2x4b524[
June 13th, 2012, 09:15 PM
RWallmow, i now have the drivers and manual in .pdf for it, so over the weekend i'm going to try and make it work. If it works, it will be up for sure. It's a VERY good find, but i don't really have a use for it, outside of maybe running oregon trail on it. :)