PDA

View Full Version : Unable to find packaging

carlsson
May 4th, 2006, 08:07 AM
So, now I've been around to almost every place in this town to find someone who sells packaging (boxes and shock-absorbing stuffing) to private persons. My best bet is to misuse the credibility of the wind band (an organisation) and apply for a customer card in their name, although I would pay my purchases with cash. Yet the only store in a 130,000 people city who would sell packaging like that doesn't have the dimensions I need, so they'd need to order it from the other company that is located 1 km away but refuse to sell directly to me.

Argh. The other option is to visit a place that specialize in packaging and shipping, but they would probably charge more for each box and sell stuffing chips per liter for 3 times the cost to buy a half cubic meter. Also, I need to have all the addresses etc in order and bring the stuff to them to package it this way. Not to mention I don't know if they carry the dimensions I need.

I don't know how the more experienced eBay, Tradera sellers in this country do it. Do they all have their own companies registered, or is there a secret type of stores that I don't know of?

dpatten
May 4th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Do they have an office supply store like Staples in Sweden? Packaging store will charge you an arm and a leg. If I can't get a used one one from work, I usually buy my shipping envelopes, boxes &c. from Staples.

carlsson
May 4th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I tried almost all office supply stores. At best they can order, but I'm not certain the dimensions I need are within their sortiment - although it is among standard dimensions.

The irony is that I found one online store that seems to deliver the products I want in the right quantities, reasonable pricing and probably to me as a private person. But their webshop does not have a method to join and there is no information page about how to sign up either, i.e. the page is partly broken.

Terry Yager
May 4th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I get mine from the local mini-storage where I keep my stuff. Another option is to try someplace where they rent trucks/trailers for moving. Around here it's U-Haul, or Ryder, etc, but I don't know if they exist in your part of the world.

--T

Vlad
May 4th, 2006, 12:11 PM
U-Haul and Ryder are both North America only. I don't know if National Rental has a website, but their probably US only as well. Maybe a place like a UPS or FedEx store?

-VK

Terry Yager
May 4th, 2006, 12:21 PM
FedEx/Kinko's here sell that stuff too. Thier boxes are slightly cheaper, but the padding materials are somewhat more costly.

--T

carlsson
May 5th, 2006, 01:22 AM
So today I went back to the only store who would sell me stuff, and bought 0.5 cubic meter of chips (it looks like a full cubic meter!). I also put in an order for 15 boxes of the dimension 50x50x55 cm, although I only need 5-6 to start with. Hopefully those boxes will not be too large when shipping abroad, the limit usually is circumference+height < 3 m, and in this case it will be 2.55 m. On the good hand, if I decide to ship more orders than I currently have goods for.