PDA

View Full Version : Commodore SFD-1001 power issue

billdeg
May 5th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I have a strange problem with an sfd-1001 diskette drive. It does not power up unless you flip the power cable connecting to the two pin power feed jack
in the front left of the processor board, near where P5 is printed on the board. Flipping (plugging the cable into the pins upside-down) the connector will fry the board so I can't keep it that way for more than a few seconds. I was able to get the green-red-green lights to flash ready for use, so I think that the board is OK. I have no idea if the actual drive itself is OK, I have not swapped the drive into another working sfd.

Any strategies? I do not see any loose wires or other evidence of problems. I have compared wiring with a working drive to be sure everything is plugged in correctly.

I was told that the drive worked before it was shipped to me, so I assume something has come loose. I have done all of the standard stuff to re-seat the chips, etc. Fuse is OK.

carlsson
May 6th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Maybe bad power supply? Assuming it delivers 5 and 12V and those are on opposite ends of the connector, flipping the power cable would possibly drive 12V into the 5V circuit, frying it. OTOH, it also means some part of the drive should power up when the cable is connected correctly. IIRC, 12V is typically used for drive mechanics and 5V for the logic board.