PDA

View Full Version : Anyone run MintPPC on their PowerMac?

Chuck(G)
June 18th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I've got a Beige G3 here with OS X 10.3 (and MacOS 9.1) installed. Needless to say, OS X 10.3 is out of date and runs like molasses in January. MacOS has an okay speed, but again, where the heck are you going to find software?

So I was looking at MintPPC Linux (http://www.mintppc.org/about). It looks pretty good--has anyone tried it on a G3?

commodorejohn
June 18th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Not on a G3, but it was quite responsive on a PowerBook G4 (1.67GHz) and XFCE - leave LXDE on there instead and it'd probably be decent.

Hatta
June 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Rats, I was hoping you meant there was a port of Atari MiNT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiNT) to the PPC. That would be an interesting development.

Being a Linux user myself, I'd just install Debian PPC and use whatever lightweight software works best. I know Fluxbox works well on my P2-266, so I'd expect a similarly clocked PPC to do well too.

Chuck(G)
June 19th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Rats, I was hoping you meant there was a port of Atari MiNT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiNT) to the PPC. That would be an interesting development.

Being a Linux user myself, I'd just install Debian PPC and use whatever lightweight software works best. I know Fluxbox works well on my P2-266, so I'd expect a similarly clocked PPC to do well too.

Apparently, MintPPC is based on Debian, so I'd anticipate that there'd be some family resemblance. Do any of the Linuces support the Superdrive floppy that's in these old Macs?

Mike Chambers
June 19th, 2012, 01:47 PM
My iMac G3 400 MHz is set up to dual boot Tiger and Debian Squeeze. Debian runs very nicely on there, definitely better than OS X. I recommend using XFCE with it. You should definitely look into making sure you have at least 512 MB of RAM for either OS. I stuck 768 MB in mine, it's very snappy in X with that.

Compgeke
June 19th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I too used a iMac G3 400 MHz that ran Debian nicely, I didn't use a GUI normally, but I did use Xfce once and it wasn't too bad, but I still prefer it GUIless (but that's just me, I didn't need it for web browsing or anything).

My iMac seems to be dead, and I might be getting a B&W G3 today so I can try later possibly.

eXTended8088
June 19th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I run MintPPC on all of my G3 and G4 based Mac's. It runs beautifully on my eMac G4 1.25Ghz with 2 gigs of ram. I use Ice weasel and page loads are nearly instantaneous. To bad flash doesnt work but I have a work around that opens the media in Mplayer. On my G3's of various speed, Including a iMac G3 DV 400Mhz with 1GB of ram and a iBook G3 600Mhz with 640MB of ram, I have issues with Altivec code being slipped into the system, thus it likes to load G4 and G5 based versions of the apps I use. Even removing and reinstalling from the repositories gives you the same version. Some G3's dont have this issue, and will load the correct version of say, VLC for G3 and it works Nicely. On most of my G3's however, It likes to load the G4 or G5 version of VLC which just crashes and is unusable. It's then trial and error downloading different versions of media players to see if they work.

barythrin
June 19th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Is YellowDog just to bloated these days to get your attention? I haven't used it in years but it's what I played with on my older PowerMac systems.

animekenji
July 7th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I've got a Beige G3 here with OS X 10.3 (and MacOS 9.1) installed. Needless to say, OS X 10.3 is out of date and runs like molasses in January. MacOS has an okay speed, but again, where the heck are you going to find software?

So I was looking at MintPPC Linux (http://www.mintppc.org/about). It looks pretty good--has anyone tried it on a G3?

Why not just try to find a CPU upgrade for it?

Chuck(G)
July 7th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Why not just try to find a CPU upgrade for it?

But that won't solve the problem of upgrading to OS X later than 10.4. Quite honestly, it's easier to find an old G4 or G5 system than to waste money on a CPU upgrade.