PDA

View Full Version : Mac Stacy...

facattack
June 26th, 2012, 08:21 AM
First of all, how many comptuters have been released with women's names...?

Page about Stacy. (http://oldcomputers.net/stacy.html)

Says it emulates Mac portable? Like which Macs we talking about?

I'd heard about "Atari ST" from looking at a page on ROMs... er... well not saying where... but that's where I saw the name. :D

Have there been many computers designed by videogame companies?

Sony calls itself "Sony Computer Enterainment America" but this was in first in the days of PSone before they made computers or computer games... hehe.

uxwbill
June 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Probably the most obvious one is Apple's Lisa. (Though I'm not sure it qualifies as a "comptuter"... :p )

NEC played in the videogame market for a while, and also manufactured personal computers.

barythrin
June 26th, 2012, 08:38 AM
The Atari Stacy (not Mac Stacy) is what you're referring to? There was one system actually called the Mac Portable (http://oldcomputers.net/macportable.html) which it's probably referring to. Well that article pretty much sums everything up.

Lots of manufacturers stepped into the home computer market at some point of their lives. I find those to be fun little one off collectibles. Panasonic, Sony, even the NES had a computer add-on but I think it was primarily in Japan. A lot of computers sold quite well with their ability to move sprites around quickly and generate better sound. (Atari 400/800 line, Commodore obviously and later the Amiga which was a damn sweet system and did better in Europe than the US). You'll see a lot of MSX systems from various manufacturers as well which was also an interesting and less talked about Microsoft type initiative. They seemed to be fairly game and music oriented computers and had lots of pretty sweet looking designs for their times.

facattack
June 26th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Ah! MSX!

I primarily think of Hideo Kojima's "Snatcher" and early "Metal Gear" games.

I also was thinking of Castlevania Chronicles just now... it was made from a port of a Sharp 68000 computer game.

carlsson
June 26th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Regarding computers with women's names, there also is the Matra Alice, a French Tandy MC-10.

When it comes to video games vs home computers, somewhere around 1983/84 almost everyone wanted to shift into the computer business as video games were getting old and then the infamous crash. Sony made MSX computers, Sega made a computer version (SC-3000) out of their SG-1000 video game that in its turn was a prequel to the Master System. Nintendo to my knowledge never made a ready-made computer, just the Basic cartridge and keyboard add-on to the Famicom.

It should be added that Atari apart from the 8-bit series and 16-bit ST series, also made a few PC XT clones. At one point in time (c:a 1987), Atari's XT seems to have been the cheapest on the market, even considering all noname brands at similar specs.

geoffm3
June 28th, 2012, 08:12 AM

Page about Stacy. (http://oldcomputers.net/stacy.html)

Says it emulates Mac portable? Like which Macs we talking about?

Out of the box it certainly wouldn't. If the STacy has a ROM cartridge port like the desktop machines do though, you should be able to run the Mac emulator they had, SpectreGCR.

olePigeon
June 28th, 2012, 08:29 PM
You could do the same with a NeXT machine. There was a box that had a Mac ROM on it, and you connected it to the NeXT computer which enabled you to run System 7. You could dual boot System 7 and NeXT.

dorkbert
June 28th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Atari STacy is a bit hard to come by; I think it's easier to find a Mac Portable than a STacy.

Ole Juul
June 28th, 2012, 10:41 PM

Page about Stacy.
Are you implying that Stacy is a woman's name? Sometimes it is and sometimes it's not. Probably more common in Greece but I know a couple of men with that name and spelling. It's from Eustace and Anastacia.

Of course it's a common last name, but I don't think that Mac Stacy is from Scotland though. ;) One could imagine an O'Stacy from Ireland, a Von Stacy from Germany, and a Dutch Van Stacy. Perhaps even an EcStacy from ... oh never mind.

facattack
June 29th, 2012, 04:17 AM
Did Atari pull a Gwen Stacey?

NeXT
June 29th, 2012, 05:50 AM
You could do the same with a NeXT machine. There was a box that had a Mac ROM on it, and you connected it to the NeXT computer which enabled you to run System 7. You could dual boot System 7 and NeXT.

The Daydream ROM box. Contains nine chips (four of which were ROM, one was GAL and four others with acid washed tops), a voltage regulator and plugged into the DSP port and gave you a full 040 mac.

facattack
June 29th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Was it the first Mac? Which one did it emulate? What OS did it run?

tingo
July 7th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Many computers have had womens and mans) names. One example is the Lilith (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith_%28computer%29).