PDA

View Full Version : Mac SE Needs Hard Drive Repair

Mister_Alex
July 12th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Each time I boot up my Mac SE a warning window comes up saying that it can't create a certain file image/icon for one of the files on my desktop, and it asks me to do repairs. So I click on the 'Okay' button and the computer restarts, then works fine-until after I close out of a program, be it 'Tetris', 'Microsoft Office' or whatever, then the whole process begins again. This all happened running 'Claris Mac Paint'.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Right now I am thinking that the solution may be to just delete or move that desktop file (A Word file), but I wanted to make sure.

RickNel
July 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I suggest that next time you boot up your SE, before you open up any programs and try to use them, you need to go to the Utilities area and use the Disk Repair tool to automatically correct some error. It could be a casual error in the file-system records, or it could be that some part of the disk surface is failing to record correctly. Either way, the utility should fix it.

I haven't opened up my SE for a while so I've forgotten the exact name of the utility you need to use. The "help" utility should direct you to it, unless omebody else on this list can give step-by-step directions..

Longer term, you might consider replacing your hard disk. There is plenty of advice on Mac forums on how to do this without losing any of your data.

Rick

Mister_Alex
July 12th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I think that the warning box which shows up is redirecting me to that Disk Repair utility, but it isn't working.
I will fire it up in a day or two, maybe get some photos.

Mister_Alex
July 13th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Well, I tried deleting those files, and now my Mac SE enters a loop, prompting me to do repairs, restarting, prompting me to do repairs, restarting, prompting me to do. . .

I don't know what to do anymore. :(

dorkbert
July 13th, 2012, 08:36 AM
rebuild the desktop (https://support.apple.com/kb/HT2344)?

Mister_Alex
July 13th, 2012, 09:02 AM
What do you mean?