PDA

View Full Version : what a Vicky worth?

tipc
July 13th, 2012, 11:56 AM
just wondering. In case you were wondering it's the portable version of the Victor 9000.

Should I even sell it? Anyone (except Terry Yeager) ever even seen one, much less own one???

I got three IMHO wicked portables. That, the TI Professional Portable (color), the Tektronix TC-2000. Also have a presently non-functional Compaq Plus which I'm taking a liking to. It worked just fine not too long ago, sniff.

Also have 2 IBM PC Radios, and 2 Zenith Minisports. But I still want more stuff.

Anyone have 2" disks?

barythrin
July 13th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I'll start the "not sure" answer. ;-) I think it'd be a nice addition to Commodore collectors or folks who enjoy Portable attempts. I know if I had some extra money I'd try for it, although I need to sell a few Victors anyway. The TI Portables I've seen semi-often but I didn't know they were or that there were color versions. All I know is they have proprietary software so I've never really tried mine. Have any pics of it anywhere? The supersports are also fun little systems. Also great for their smaller storage size :-)

Curtis has been selling off a lot of larger luggables over the years. Perhaps he's had or has one of the Victors?

tipc
July 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM
The TI Portables I've seen semi-often but I didn't know they were or that there were color versions. All I know is they have proprietary software so I've never really tried mine. Have any pics of it anywhere?

no

The supersports are also fun little systems. Also great for their smaller storage size :-)

My two Minisports just got dropped on a cement floor :(

carlsson
July 14th, 2012, 07:17 AM
The Victor/Sirius series don't have much in common with Commodore, except that Chuck Peddle designed both the 6502 and Sirius, and that Datatronic, the Swedish importer of Commodore eventually bought all of Victor. I don't know about the portable, I've only got a Vicki 8088 regular desktop. That is to say, Victor released at least 2-3 different models named Vicky or Vicki, so it is good that you point out yours is the portable one.

tipc
July 14th, 2012, 05:09 PM
could you post a picture of this desktop Vicki please. I've never heard of it.

Victor also caved and started making pc compatibles. I have one on eBay as we speak. The VPCIIc. A cutey.

carlsson
July 16th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Yes, my Vicki is an XT compatible, quite close to the VPC line you mention. Not sure if I have any picture available, can take one later.

barythrin
July 16th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Right, most of the Commodore fans I know have a high liking for Chuck Peddle hence my comments on the Victor line being somewhat lateral with Commodore collecting. You're right though, it could be misleading for a newer Commodore collector thinking a Victor would be anything like one or compatible. All the ones I've seen are 8088 and PC clones.