PDA

View Full Version : Asus Striker Extreme motherboard

ChrisCwmbran
July 20th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Does anybody happen to know if an Asus Striker Extreme motherboard supports dual floppy drives?

I can find plenty of reference to it supporting both 5.25" and 3.5" drive sizes, but nothing stating whether it supports twin floppies.

I have currently got an Elite KL1-SLI Lie in my machine intended to be a tweener - but it only supports a single floppy although it understands the 5.25" and the 3.5"

Thanks for reading this and any answers!

carlsson
July 20th, 2012, 01:34 PM
According to the BIOS screenshots in the manual, it says "Legacy Diskette A:" followed by "Primary IDE Master" and so on, i.e. not even a blank line where B: settings would be. Also, given this is a relatively modern Socket 775 motherboard, I'd be very surprised if it supported dual floppy drives. The BIOS screenshot only displays 720K 3.5" and 1.44M 3.5" but perhaps it depends on what kind of floppy drive you have connected physically. If you're lucky, it could also be a matter of BIOS version, but I doubt Asus would spend many minutes on improving the BIOS with additional floppy drive settings.

ChrisCwmbran
July 20th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Thank you for checking that.

Its quite annoying. Ive got various machines around - the one Im typing on now doesnt support floppies at all. The one next to me supports two, but only 3.5". The one with the ECS Motherboard supports either 3.5 or 5.25" drives, but only one!

Its a no win situation!

Stone
July 20th, 2012, 02:48 PM
What about a floppy controller with a BIOS or an 8-bit controller?

ChrisCwmbran
July 21st, 2012, 01:14 AM
Thats a good thought.

I also found on http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm talk about some drivers called DUSE which apparantly will make many USB devices including floppies work in DOS mode.

I guess I now have to also think about which version of DOS to use!