PDA

View Full Version : Atari 130XE, just brought home today.

k2x4b524[
July 21st, 2012, 08:14 PM
I have one of these when i was a boy, and my mood was picked up a bit when i brought it home tonight.

It's got
2 1050 disk drives
1 Kraft joystick, i think i have an atari one somewhere
1 what appears to be an atari daisy chain adapter to a centronics printer interface
1 piece of software with a "key" it's called Paperclip
The original manuals
brown dust cover
small pile of software

unfortunately, no cartridge basic as i remember, so now my quest is this
To find an online repository of all the disks of games, like the old electronic arts disks *i had a really good greek mythology based game for it*
And eventually, some cartridges, like galaxian and pac-man.

So anyway, my question is this,
since i have all the power adapters, and the unit's in relatively decent shape, should i just go ahead and fire it up, or take some precautions as i don't know how long it's been sitting?

lotonah
July 21st, 2012, 08:57 PM
Well, the Atari 130XE has built-in BASIC, so you don't really need the cartridge anymore. That's mostly for the Atari 400 and 800, unless you have a pressing need to run BASIC rev. A for compatibility reasons. The 130XE has BASIC rev. C, if memory serves.

As far as an online site for disks/games/etc., might I suggest http://www.atarimania.com/? I think the main problem you're going to have is transferring from your PC to a disk. I'd suggest an APE interface, or a CF card reader.

I'd say go ahead and fire it up. Not much can go wrong with them, as long as the humidity and temperature have been stable for awhile, maybe just look to see if there is any obvious sign of moisture damage, rust, corrosion, etc.

k2x4b524[
July 21st, 2012, 09:06 PM
If the disks are imaged properly, i can write anything to them, that's not a problem to do, i have scads of 5.25" disks available. Thanks for the link, i'll check that one out. :)

Well, the Atari 130XE has built-in BASIC, so you don't really need the cartridge anymore. That's mostly for the Atari 400 and 800, unless you have a pressing need to run BASIC rev. A for compatibility reasons. The 130XE has BASIC rev. C, if memory serves.

As far as an online site for disks/games/etc., might I suggest http://www.atarimania.com/? I think the main problem you're going to have is transferring from your PC to a disk. I'd suggest an APE interface, or a CF card reader.

I'd say go ahead and fire it up. Not much can go wrong with them, as long as the humidity and temperature have been stable for awhile, maybe just look to see if there is any obvious sign of moisture damage, rust, corrosion, etc.

k2x4b524[
July 21st, 2012, 09:08 PM
I'm looking over the site, it's got some good stuff, any chance i can find the compilation disks, like the old S.P.A.C.E user group disks? Would anyone have those still?

k2x4b524[
July 21st, 2012, 09:30 PM
ok, i've got some of the stuff needed, the disks, the tweener machine, but i need to know how to write the .atr or other .xxx extensions used by the atari disk images, to write them back to disk, Lest i be hunting for authentic atari disks for ages...

lotonah
July 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM
What OS does your tweener run? I think the only utility I've used (but haven't used it in a looong time) that took an .ATR image and made a disk was here: http://www.atarimax.com/. Look for "Ape and ProSystem v3.0.2 for Windows". I've only used the DOS version, but it did the trick.

k2x4b524[
July 22nd, 2012, 01:38 PM
Its an IBM xt refit with a 1.44mb and a 360, dos based. I saw the ape thing, not sure about my soldering skills to build it though. The software Anadisk may be viable but it can't handle the fm format properly. If I have to I can put the original controller back in.

ahm
July 22nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Nice machine. I've got an XEGS which is similar.

To write disks, you'll need something like the SIO2PC

Check out the game Yoomp! http://yoomp.atari.pl/

k2x4b524[
July 22nd, 2012, 10:45 PM
hmm, the process is looking to get more and more complex to write disk images, i don't want to have to buy hardware for a go between, i just want to be able to write the images and have at it. I will build something if i have to, but ONLY if i have to,

ahm
July 23rd, 2012, 05:50 AM
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq/

k2x4b524[
July 24th, 2012, 08:00 PM
thanks for that link, i'll let you know what happens with it. i may just end up getting the SIO2PC

k2x4b524[
July 26th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Good news, the atari does indeed function properly. But i have an interesting cable with it i would like to figure out. It's the monitor cable, but it's split into 2 rca ports, one is it's own port, but the other is an adapter over the BNC connector, am i safe to assume that's the video?

ahm
July 26th, 2012, 04:34 PM
I don't think you're ever safe to assume anything - really.

I've got what sounds like a similar cable: 5-pin DIN plug on one end and 4 separate RCA males (red, yellow, white, black) on the other.
I think the white RCA is composite video, if I remember right.