PDA

View Full Version : Historical system

Malron
July 29th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Hello, I recently acquired the computer system of the venerable Victor Lee. A student at queens university in the early 80's who was responsible for the first pascal version of the kermit program. His collaboration with columbia university spawned all the versions of kermit that run worldwide today. Kermit operates worldwide in countless devices and systems including the international space station. Look up kermit for more info. I have the zenith supersport 8086 he used to do so and the original files still intact and operational. The system is in great shape and fully functional. Battery, adapter, manuals etc. The dual 720k's are all he had to work with, no hard disk or modem which was optional with the system. So cool :D

His name was stamped on the bottom with an old label maker and his daughter miss Lee confirmed to me his history which I have also confirmed with Queens university and columbia university.

I also have his the original textbooks dated and tagged by mr. Lee while attending Queens university in Ontario. The system also came with an original boxed copy of dos 3.0 in perfect condition with manuals etc.

I am looking for information as to what the value of such a system might be worth, and how to proceed with this museum quality computer system.

Thanks for your time and input

Michael Greene
Mike's computer repair

barythrin
July 29th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I'm not quite sure what you can do. Do you have a specific desire for it to end up somewhere? In that case you would probably be searching for a museum that's interested in it and perhaps donate or allow them to display it with credits and insurance for you. If you're more interested in getting cash for it then the unfortunate best method is probably talking it up here and a few other places with lots of documentation and pictures and either entertain offers, post a price you'd like to target, or get the buzz and then put it on an auction site to get folks to bid on it.

The system itself isn't worth a whole lot but is desirable and fun system so they do sell but generally in the $100-200 range IIRC. The historical significance can be a hard sell but that's where reserves and patience come in. Just my $.02 though and that's probably only $.01 Canadian.

Chuck(G)
July 29th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I'm not exactly sure if your provenance claim is particularly valuable. Recall that Kermit started out as a CP/M-80 program in 8080 assembler (Microsoft M80) for the Intertec Super Brain systems by Bill Catchings. Although a Pascal version for x86 is interesting, I believe that most later Kermit versions were written in C.

Perhaps there's some special value of this to Mr. Lee's family or friends, but beyond that, I'm not so sure.