PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Plus

SunDown79
July 31st, 2012, 03:20 PM
I have just aquired a Compaq Plus and I think it works, it seems to work anyway, its just that the harddisk seems busted (spins up...yes yes..and spins down immediatly again, anyway, perhaps if I remove it and have a look at it).

Now, ofcourse we also have a floppydrive, but this doesn't seems to boot any of my 3.x MS-DOS disks.
It searches, the light comes on but no go. This can have all kinds of causes but my first question; should a Compaq Plus be able to boot a MS-DOS 3.x floppy ?

Thanks!

Stefan.

barythrin
July 31st, 2012, 03:25 PM
What format is the floppy? I don't remember off the top of my head but one reference thinks they'll read 360K floppies. Compatibility wise, I do believe it can. I just picked one up with a bad keyboard so I haven't messed with it too much other than watching it boot but it loaded ms-dos 5.0 with Norton anti-virus loaded heh.

DOS lives on!!
July 31st, 2012, 03:52 PM
When the computer attempts to read from the floppy drive, are there any error messages displayed and/or strange soounds coming from the drive? You may also want to try a cleaning disk on the drive to clean possible flakes and dirt off the heads.