PDA

View Full Version : eBook Reader

evildragon
August 1st, 2012, 09:56 PM
Are there any good eBook reader apps for 8086 PC's?

I ask because I could just use a .txt file, but no txt editor remembers where you are, and for a novel, that is a highly important aspect -- bookmarking.

Anything good? I'd like to be able to read a book off my IBM, that'd be awesome.

More awesome than watching the Wall-E movie off my IBM's screen via a DVD player mod: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/IMG_0877.jpg

pearce_jj
August 1st, 2012, 11:14 PM
It would certainly be easy to write something, for example with Turbo Vision. Actually the TP IDE remembers cursor position already thinking about it.

evildragon
August 2nd, 2012, 08:01 PM
I was kinda hoping for something pre-written already for real mode DOS.

There are some things I can do well, like the demo I made a couple weeks ago (though it's still causing drive corruption), but then some things like ebook readers, something I'm not good at.

Ole Juul
August 2nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
I was kinda hoping for something pre-written already for real mode DOS.

I'm not sure about the wisdom of using a text editor for reading. That just seems wrong. However, if you're doing that, the solution is trivial. Simply type in a unique bookmark, such as "xxxx" and then search for that when you open the file again. Delete it right away before you forget. This only involves a couple of keystrokes and will work on any editor with a search feature - even a minimal 4K one like TER (I just tried it).

However, why not check simtelnet? That's what it's for. I just did, and came up with readit28.zip which seems like exactly what you're looking for. It's a full featured reader for both sighted and non-sighted users, and the executable is only 70K. I haven't played around with it yet - other than to check that the bookmark feature works. To save you the trouble of looking through the simtel archive, I've put it here for you (http://cgs.coalmont.net/readit28.zip). ~ enjoy!

PS: Thanks for the suggestion. I might use that. :)

evildragon
August 2nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
I'm not sure about the wisdom of using a text editor for reading. That just seems wrong. However, if you're doing that, the solution is trivial. Simply type in a unique bookmark, such as "xxxx" and then search for that when you open the file again. Delete it right away before you forget. This only involves a couple of keystrokes and will work on any editor with a search feature - even a minimal 4K one like TER (I just tried it).

However, why not check simtelnet? That's what it's for. I just did, and came up with readit28.zip which seems like exactly what you're looking for. It's a full featured reader for both sighted and non-sighted users, and the executable is only 70K. I haven't played around with it yet - other than to check that the bookmark feature works. To save you the trouble of looking through the simtel archive, I've put it here for you (http://cgs.coalmont.net/readit28.zip). ~ enjoy!

PS: Thanks for the suggestion. I might use that. :)
Thanks I'll check this out.

barythrin
August 2nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
I think most e-readers/apps cheat and don't power off. They just sit there with the app open and darken the screen. My suggestion is to emulate that. Leave the system on and turn of your monitor. Later you can sue for patent infringement or something. j/k

If it's just a txt file, etc then 1. a lot of folks did put in book or page numbering so you could search for the page you left off on and resume from there. Also another less than high tech method would be to use something that shows line numbers then jump to the line number you left off on. It requires you keeping note of the last number though but with a physical book that's sorta what ya do.

evildragon
August 3rd, 2012, 07:12 AM
I think most e-readers/apps cheat and don't power off. They just sit there with the app open and darken the screen. My suggestion is to emulate that. Leave the system on and turn of your monitor. Later you can sue for patent infringement or something. j/k

If it's just a txt file, etc then 1. a lot of folks did put in book or page numbering so you could search for the page you left off on and resume from there. Also another less than high tech method would be to use something that shows line numbers then jump to the line number you left off on. It requires you keeping note of the last number though but with a physical book that's sorta what ya do.

If I turn off my monitor I turn off my computer. :evilgrin2: