PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys feel about this purchase?

ASM
August 5th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I kind of let pressure get to me on this one;
With only a minute to spare on the clock I quickly placed the winning bid without much thought
I now feel I may have made a bad move

Here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330771348566?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) is the listing.

Do you guys feel this is a worthwhile investment, did I get the units for a good price?
I guess the reason I actually placed the bid was for the internals but after scanning the list I am not too sure there is anything useful in them.
I would really appreciate an opinion on this aside from my own
Thanks,

NathanAllan
August 5th, 2012, 07:40 PM
imho, you got a pretty good deal. I'd want to fix them all, but that's just me :) I say you did pretty darn good.

Unknown_K
August 5th, 2012, 07:59 PM
About $185 USD for yellowed and probably not working stuff? I would guess A500's and the ST are about worthless in the UK (large supply)? For me the Atari and Commodore 8 bit machines are kind of useless without disk drives, I know the Brits used tapes mostly but those are probably dead by now and hard to duplicate.

Were you looking for an instant collection or just trying to resell this stuff after you test it?

ASM
August 6th, 2012, 01:07 AM
About $185 USD for yellowed and probably not working stuff? I would guess A500's and the ST are about worthless in the UK (large supply)? For me the Atari and Commodore 8 bit machines are kind of useless without disk drives, I know the Brits used tapes mostly but those are probably dead by now and hard to duplicate.

Were you looking for an instant collection or just trying to resell this stuff after you test it?

After seeing some of the units go for 80 each I was thinking of selling them individually.
But I am not yet sure how many of them work.
I could try to fix them up, might be a lil' hard for me.
Again I am not sure if anything in them is compatible with nay IBM machines of the time

barythrin
August 7th, 2012, 09:41 AM
All depends on area and availability. I don't know the UK market well. I think it was a fine deal but I would have assumed it was for you not just for resale. The price of those systems over here varies quite a bit but in general I would say you could probably get your money back as long as you have the power supplies for the systems. That's a big rule in my later days of collecting (for common-ish systems) is make sure you know what power it takes. Otherwise the power adapter is generally not found without the system and will cost just about the same price as a second system anyway. Early on I was young and didn't care since it was a system to play with but that price adds up quickly.

On the bright side you're local to it? So that would have cost double if you had bought those separately and shipped right?

ASM
August 7th, 2012, 01:03 PM
All depends on area and availability. I don't know the UK market well. I think it was a fine deal but I would have assumed it was for you not just for resale. The price of those systems over here varies quite a bit but in general I would say you could probably get your money back as long as you have the power supplies for the systems. That's a big rule in my later days of collecting (for common-ish systems) is make sure you know what power it takes. Otherwise the power adapter is generally not found without the system and will cost just about the same price as a second system anyway. Early on I was young and didn't care since it was a system to play with but that price adds up quickly.

On the bright side you're local to it? So that would have cost double if you had bought those separately and shipped right?

Luckily all of the power supplies came with the units,
Unfortunately only a few of them have built in RF cables and I only have one box from 5 pin to composite (I think, might be mono?)
I just went and picked them up, I have taken a few apart so inspect for damage, the ones I have looked at don't have anything obvious wrong with them.
I have noticed a few have 32k SRAM, 8 pin. This is the same number of pins as the Compaq Portable I want, do you think it will be cross compatible?
Thanks!