PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info (or code/docs) for Polaroid Digital Palette film recorders

philpem
August 14th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Hi,

A while ago, I picked up a Polaroid HR-6000 film recorder. This is basically a white box, about half the height of a PC tower, which contains a CRT, controller board and SCSI interface. I've hacked together a sort-of-working Linux driver, but there are still some things I'm stuck on...

Does anyone happen to have any technical documentation which covers the Digital Palette series (CI-3000 / CI-3000S, CI-5000 / CI-5000S, HR-6000, ProPalette 7000 or ProPalette 8000)?

Ideally I'm after a copy of the documentation for the Interface Toolkit (Polaroid's official SDK), sources for the Interface Toolkit, or copies of the Interface Manuals covering the Centronics parallel and SCSI interfaces. Failing that, if anyone knows any ex-Polaroid engineers I'd appreciate it if you could pass this along to them and ask :)

I've set up a preliminary project page here -- http://www.philpem.me.uk/code/filmrec/ . There's not much there at the moment, just some very basic information I've managed to glean from feeding Polaroid's drivers to various debugging tools.

Thanks,
Phil.

WMH
August 14th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Try this: http://www.everythingretek.com/PRDLibrary/LIBRARY8/LIBRARY/OVIEWD/PROPALET.PDF

(Note to forum mods: this probably belongs in the off-topic area, but I'm not sure.)

NeXT
August 14th, 2012, 06:28 PM
You have the exact same unit I ahve and I got somewhat of the same problem: The drivers for PC and mac, let alone linux are unobtanium.

philpem
August 15th, 2012, 04:41 PM
@NeXT - I have the PC drivers if you want them, but they're incredibly fussy. I managed to (sort of) get them working on Windows XP SP3 32bit, but they'll only send images to the printer; the printer driver won't install.

@WMH - That's a sell-sheet (sales guide), not a technical manual.

Also - for what it's worth, the original design work on this machine was done around 1989 (as the CI-3000). It was later enhanced to produce the CI-5000, and then revised again in 1997 to produce the HR-6000.